Operations Manager - Welding, Accessories & Cutting DivisionApply Job ID REF6650F Date posted 05/24/2022 Address 2601 Lockheed Avenue, Watertown, SD Job Type Full-time Job Status Exempt
Miller® is about building things that matter. We lead the welding industry in building advanced, solution-focused products and meeting crucial needs for welding safety and health.
We’re about the partnership and the work. Our products are designed with our users for manufacturing, fabrication, construction, aviation, motorsports, education, agriculture and marine applications.
Miller Electric Mfg. LLC, is headquartered in Appleton, Wisconsin, and wholly owned by Illinois Tool Works (NYSE: ITW). The company maintains its industry leadership by setting the standard for reliability, quality and responsiveness. Our tagline, “The Power of Blue®,” is inspired by the blue color of Miller equipment.
The company began with an innovation that responded to customer needs, growing from a one-man operation in 1929, to the world’s largest manufacturer of arc welding products. Miller keeps the tradition alive by focusing on its top priority: people.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Operations Manager will be responsible for driving results in key areas of safety, quality, productivity, delivery, and continuous improvement for the Watertown, SD Welding Accessories and Cutting Division facility. This position requires a strong enterprise-minded leader capable of further developing a safety first culture, a robust ITW-Toolbox operations strategy, building a diverse talent pipeline, leading continuous improvement activities that will span internal operations as well as with key suppliers. ERP planning and experience will also play a key role as the division continues to increase the functionality and implementation of the newly launched system.
- Directs and drives manufacturing operations to achieve safety, quality, productivity, on-time delivery, and inventory goals.
- Drives improvements in safety, quality and operational efficiencies using the ITW Toolbox, 6S and other production/lean methods.
- Directly manages a team comprised of a Production Supervisor, Material Coordinator and Manufacturing Engineers to develop plans for safety, quality, labor efficiency, and inventory improvements.
- Drives effective and consistent Toolbox projects across all operational departments.
- Defines and establishes objectives in the areas of safety, quality, and production, including developing specific short-term and long-term plans which may include budget and capital requests.
- Reviews, revises and/or approves budget proposals received from direct reports including submitting budgets for assigned activities in accordance with the budget procedure.
- Uses sales/inventory metrics to create robust operational plans.
- Effectively hires and develops a diverse team of talent.
- Keeps employees informed as to company/department plans and performance progress.
- Provides leadership that allows for achievement of a flexible and fast-responding workforce in a fast-paced, dynamic organizational environment.
- Key stakeholder in ensuring critical milestones are achieved in New Product Development timelines or outsourcing projects.
- Bachelor’s Degree Industrial Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Operations Management, Quality Management, or similar field required.
- Minimum of 7-10 years of relevant and progressive manufacturing management experience; experience in leading production/direct labor is required. Leadership experience with direct reports that are managing people is plus.
- P&L experience with inventory management, budgeting, and planning capabilities is a plus.
- Previous ERP experience strongly preferred.
- Change agent that demonstrates original thinking, facilitation skills, and the ability to develop innovative approaches for improving workflow and processes within the ITW Business Model.
- Displays an ability to work effectively within complex decision making and organizational structures. Has an ability to lead and coordinate successful cross-functional improvements with analytical skills, including the use of root cause problem-solving tools
- Understands a variety of operational excellence competencies including but not limited to: ITW Toolbox, Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma, Visual Management, Value Stream Mapping, Standard Work, Kaizen, Poke Yoke, etc.
- Ability to build strong, trusted, working relationships with internal and external business customers and executive level management, providing influence without authority, and managing stakeholders/clients’ expectations effectively.
- Proven ability to operate independently, affect change across functions, and have a track record of delivered results.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication/presentation skills with a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Minimal travel – 10% may be required.
- Strong leadership skills: leads both people and change effectively
- Result-driven, accountability focused – holds self and others responsible for delivering results and modeling ITW Leadership Expectations
- Strategic Vision – ability to progressively lead an organization towards the achievement of short and long-term strategic objectives, anticipating future change implications and impacts
- Strong business acumen paired with enterprise-first mindset (across all functional areas and the ITW Welding segment) – proactively collaborates to solve problems effectively across all levels
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
ITW is an equal opportunity employer. We value our colleagues’ unique perspectives, experiences and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
As an equal employment opportunity employer, ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Want personalized job recommendations based on your interests?
Sign up for alerts to get started!
At ITW, we value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Read more information here.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this online application system process due to your disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.