Sr. Embedded Software EngineerApply Now Submit a Referral Job ID REF9122F Date posted 01/10/2023 Address 401 South Market Street, Troy, OH Job Type Full-time Job Status Exempt
ITW (NYSE: ITW) is a Fortune 250 global multi-industrial manufacturing leader with revenues totaling $12.6 billion in 2020. The company’s seven industry-leading segments leverage the unique ITW Business Model to drive solid growth with best-in-class margins and returns in markets where highly innovative, customer-focused solutions are required. ITW’s approximately 43,000 dedicated colleagues around the world thrive in the company’s decentralized and entrepreneurial culture. www.itw.com.
At ITW Hobart you will be working with other software, electrical, and mechanical engineers to design, implement, and maintain our world class scale and wrapper devices. The Hobart brand is renowned for premium, innovative technical solutions in the Food Equipment industry. As a Sr. Embedded Software Engineer you will not only design and implement with the latest technologies, you will be able to help mold the direction of future developments as well. A candidate that loves to learn, be curious, and grow as a professional will thrive in this role.
The Weigh Wrap Division produces commercial Hobart branded weighing and wrapping equipment and software solutions for the Grocery/Retail and Food Service industries. We are the industry leader and are expanding our growth into existing and new markets. We are seeking a candidate who can significantly improve our potential to grow and thrives on challenges.
- Work on complex, less clearly defined projects under limited supervision.
- Help create and refine product and technical requirements for our world class equipment.
- Participate in technical discovery and feasibility studies.
- Estimate resources and time required to complete projects.
- Apply knowledge to analyze and debug complex system issues and take action to resolve.
- Translate requirements into a highly flexible and comprehensive design.
- Design and implement software solutions and architecture that interacts with and controls hardware devices.
- Create, modify, and maintain codebases for customer facing interfaces and service software layers.
- Verify specifications and requirements are being met by designing, reviewing, and executing test cases.
- Collaborate with other engineering team members to ensure project requirements and objectives are met.
- Participate in daily scrums by indicating major obstacles and helping others overcome theirs.
- Mentor lower-level software engineers.
- Improve skills and help others improve their skills with additional training.
- Offer technical advice and product knowledge when queried by internal and external groups.
- Help drive change and improvement to existing processes and procedures.
- Complete tasking within an overall schedule and clearly communicate status.
- Assist technical writers with questions on functionality when needed.
- Follow agency requirements such as NTEP, UL, and FCC when required.
- Follow best practices for cleanliness and organization such as 6S for your work and lab environments.
- Follow the ITW core values of Integrity, Simplicity, Trust, Respect, and Shared Risk.
- Travel to manufacturing plant and customers as required. Up to 15% travel required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Computer Engineering or Computer Science.
- 7+ years of relevant Software Engineering experience.
- 5+ years of experience with Linux.
- Expert in C++ and Object Oriented design methodologies.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong written and verbal skills and able to communicate to audiences of varying technical levels.
- Strong troubleshooting and debugging experience.
- Ability to build relationships through all levels of the organization, cross-functionally, and with external customers/suppliers.
- Ability to run small to medium sized projects.
- Ability to design complex software and write system documentation.
- Excellent understanding of multithreaded systems.
- Strong knowledge of Qt
- Strong knowledge of Python
- Knowledge of Embedded Linux and build systems such as Yocto and/or Buildroot
- Knowledge of UBOOT and device tree configurations
- Knowledge of make systems such as CMake and/or Autotools
- Experience with UART, RS232, RS485, CAN, USB, Ethernet, WIFI, SPI, I2C, and other hardware interfaces
- Experience with SQL and embedded databases
- Experience with IoT solutions and communication protocols
- Experience with Web Development Frameworks, web services, and web programming
- Experience troubleshooting and configuration of low level Linux drivers and software packages
- Experience with containers and virtualization technologies such as Docker and/or VMWare
- Automated testing experience
- Ability to read and understand schematics
- Office, Lab and Manufacturing environments.
- PPE required: Steel toe shoes and eye protection in manufacturing setting.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, bend, or stoop and use hands, arms and walk frequently. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds.
ITW is an equal opportunity employer. We value our colleagues’ unique perspectives, experiences and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
As an equal employment opportunity employer, ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Submit a Referral
Want personalized job recommendations based on your interests?
Sign up for alerts to get started!
At ITW, we value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Read more information here.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this online application system process due to your disability, please email email@example.com to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.