Electrical Engineer / Sourcing Engineer / Mechanical EngineerApply Job ID REF1422G Date posted 04/05/2021 Address 401 West Market Street, Troy, OH Job Type Full-time Job Status Exempt
At Hobart, an ITW Food Equipment Group LLC brand, it is our mission to provide premium food preparation equipment that foodservice and food retail professionals can trust to work hard and deliver quality, consistent results day in and day out, empowering them to focus on what they love most—creating great food for great people. From one plate to one thousand, Hobart helps you satisfy every appetite. Whether you need to mix, chop, grind or peel, our legendary equipment is the perfect partner. The Food Machines Division is part of ITW Food Equipment Group and is proud of our product catalog which includes commercial mixers, slicers, meat room equipment and food preparation equipment.
Illinois Tool Works (ITW) is a Fortune 200 diversified manufacturing company with seven decentralized business segments, one of which is the ITW Food Equipment Group (~$2B annual revenue). Food Machines (~$100M annual revenue) is one of the businesses within the ITW Food Equipment Group and is seeking an electrical engineer for its Troy, Ohio headquarters, located 20 minutes north of the Dayton metropolitan area. We have an amazing work environment and live and by the ITW values of integrity, respect, trust, shared risk, and simplicity in everything we do.
This position reports to the Division Sourcing Manager and has responsibility for driving cost savings through engineering design changes. This is an engineering position, but it reports through Sourcing because of the focus on design-change cost savings. It’s a great fit for engineers who are entrepreneurial and ready for more autonomy in their work life.
The Sourcing Engineer will:
· focus on engineering cost savings and will have the autonomy to manage multiple projects to reach a cost savings goal each year.
· work closely with the Division Sourcing Manager, but will also have lots of interaction and consultation with the Food Machines engineering team when implementing a part or product change.
Food Machines produces many different products (mixers, slicers, meat saws, mixer/grinders, food processing equipment, etc.), so there are countless opportunities for the Sourcing Engineer to drive savings to the bottom line while still maintaining the highest levels of quality. This position has already been proven to be successful over several years and is now open because our current Sourcing Engineer is transitioning over to the Engineering team to fill in for a retirement.
The projects may cover both electrical and mechanical, so our preference is for an electrical engineer who also has good aptitude in mechanical engineering.
The Strategic Sourcing Engineer will work closely with our suppliers on a project basis and will be responsible to bring those projects to full closure, including engineering change notices.
Our manufacturing facility is in Hillsboro, Ohio, which is only an hour and a half from Troy.
· Support design change cost savings projects for existing products, including investigation of alternative parts and materials, alternative manufacturing processes, etc.
· Work with suppliers and other team members for ongoing cost savings idea generation.
· Assist in answering technical and drawing related questions from suppliers in “request for quote” projects that are issued by Sourcing. If the Sourcing Engineer cannot answer, they are responsible to coordinate with the engineering team to get the answer.
· Assist with verification and approval of minor product or process changes made by suppliers for cost or quality improvements.
· Communicate and coordinate design changes with the Operations team in Hillsboro.
· Travel to supplier facilities to assess their capabilities and to monitor project status (5% to 15% travel).
· Review raw material and part specifications issued to suppliers for accuracy and completeness.
· Assist in legal / liability cases with technical support and occasionally act as an expert witness when needed.
· Assist with Sourcing activities like early supplier involvement in New Product Development process.
· Attend Engineering team meetings to stay aligned with the priorities of the Engineering team and to report on projects being worked for Sourcing.
· Assist with special projects as needed (Quality, Cost, Manufacturing, and Drawing improvements).
· Coordinate to ensure that 3rd party certification requirements are met and maintained in cost savings projects i.e.: UL, CE, NSF, etc.
· BS in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or related discipline. Electrical is preferred.
· If Electrical background, prefer very good mechanical skills also since projects will be in both areas.
· Prefer experienced user of “Solid works” or “Pro-E” design – CAD systems. Able to design parts in CAD without help from designer/drafter. If electrical, we understand this may not happen.
· At least 8 years of engineering experience.
· Ability to read and understand engineering drawings.
· Strong communication, business acumen, leadership and team building skills.
· Demonstrated project management and organizational skills, and highly self-motivated.
· Prefer experience in Six Sigma, Lean, or Supply Chain Management, or experience in working with Sourcing and or external suppliers
· Understanding of material specifications, manufacturing process, and secondary operations.
· Experience in some of the primary commodity processes like castings, fabricated metal assemblies, motors, electrical components, plastic injection moldings, etc.
Pre-employment screenings performed (which includes background checks and drug screening)
ITW Food Equipment Group is committed to providing a healthy and safe environment for all employees. To demonstrate this commitment, ITWFEG is tobacco-free (including e-cigarettes) on campuses and within company vehicles and maintains a drug-free workplace. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package including medical, dental, and life insurance, short and long term disability benefits, holiday and vacation pay, 401(k) with liberal matching funds, and educational reimbursement.
ITW Food Equipment Group is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access the online application system process due to your disability, please contact Human Resources at 937-840-5101 to request assistance
ll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Want personalized job recommendations based on your interests?
Sign up for alerts to get started!
At ITW, we value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this online application system process due to your disability, please email email@example.com to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.