Controls TechnicianApply Job ID REF9300X Date posted 01/26/2023 Address 18531 Spring Creek Drive, Tinley Park, IL Job Type Full-time Job Status Non-Exempt
Illinois Tool Works Inc. (NYSE: ITW) is a diversified manufacturing company that delivers specialized expertise, innovative thinking and value-added products to meet critical customer needs in a variety of industries. ITW, with approximately 14.8 billion dollars in global revenues, operates 7 major segments with businesses in 55 countries that employ approximately 48,000 women and men. These talented individuals, many of whom have specialized engineering or scientific expertise, contribute to our global leadership in innovation. We are proud of our broad portfolio of more than 17,000 active patents.
The Controls Technician is responsible for troubleshooting, repairing, installing, and performing preventative maintenance of all machinery and equipment. Automation Technician troubleshoots and repairs robotics, electrical, mechanical, and pneumatic systems, and electro-mechanical control systems, and supports the Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) based control systems. The Controls Technician will support our Tinley Park and Frankfort Facilities, approximately 5 miles apart from each other.
- Install, maintain, and repair production machinery and equipment. Closure of maintenance work orders.
- Plan maintenance and repair procedures. This will include power, electric, and electronic control. Diagnose problems. Determine what repairs are required and what equipment, supplies, and skills are needed to complete the repairs.
- Draft and submit material requisition or make components for assigned repairs.
- Operate machine tools as required to install and repair equipment.
- Assist with the development of a preventive maintenance (PM) program. This will include suggestions of PM schedules for equipment and execution of the program.
- Perform preventative maintenance on equipment.
- Maintain a clean and safe work area for all employees.
- Train new/current employee in basic machine operations to increase machine knowledge to maximize utilization; relieves operators as necessary.
- Recommend cost saving improvements, labor and ergonomic improvements.
- Ensure comprehensive and complete communication with oncoming shift.
- Maintain compliance with IATF 16949, ISO, and Safety Policies/Standards
- Reads, understands and follows diagrams, sketches, operation manuals and manufacturer’s specifications to repair and maintain machinery and mechanical equipment such as, but not
- limited to, engines, motors, pneumatic tools, conveyor systems and production machines and equipment using hand tools, power tools and precision measuring and testing instruments.
- Dismantles machines or equipment to gain access to and remove defective parts, replaces defective parts and motors, and adjusts feed mechanisms. Replaces or repairs machine belts. Performs these duties with the aid of such equipment as hoists, cranes, hand tools and power tools.
- Document all work in a neat and legible manner. Ensure that all documents are kept in accordance with department procedures.
- Performs additional tasks as assigned by management or as the situation requires.
- High school diploma required; plus technical courses preferred
- Minimum of 4 years of equipment and/or automation maintenance experience required
- Minimum of 4 years of troubleshooting, repairing, and maintaining electrical, mechanical, pneumatic, and hydraulic systems experience required
- Minimum of 2 years of troubleshooting electro-mechanical control systems and PLC based control systems, knowledge of PLC’s, PLC troubleshooting
- Experienced in general mechanical maintenance of production machinery to include reading blueprints, pneumatics, hydraulics, and ordering machine parts
- Possess minimum knowledge of electrical wiring repairs and installation, AC/DC controls, blueprints, schematic diagrams, pneumatics, and hydraulics
- Ability to use a variety of small hand tools, power tools, hoists, and material handling equipment
- Team-player who demonstrates comfortability working in a team-based environment, and will possess good written and verbal communication skills with the ability to interact with varying levels of employees with focus on customer service
- Must demonstrate a positive attitude with a continuous improvement mindset and energy, passion, and enthusiasm
- Self-motivated with excellent organizational and problem-solving skills
- Strong PC skills, including proficiency with Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook
ITW offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including competitively priced medical and dental coverage the first of the month following hire, free life insurance, paid vacation and holidays, and immediate 401k matching. Additional retirement savings contribution (above and beyond 401k) is awarded at no cost after one year.
ITW is an equal opportunity, equal employment, affirmative action employer. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone is welcome to contribute their unique talents and ideas. We encourage applications from females, males, disabled/protected or other veterans, persons with disabilities, all races and ethnicities, sexual orientations and gender identities. Reasonable accommodation will be made to enable persons with disabilities to apply and to perform the essential job functions. If you require assistance with completing an application, please reply that you require assistance.
ITW is an equal opportunity employer. We value our colleagues’ unique perspectives, experiences and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
As an equal employment opportunity employer, ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Want personalized job recommendations based on your interests?
Sign up for alerts to get started!
At ITW, we value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Read more information here.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this online application system process due to your disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.