Ink & Coating ChemistApply Job ID REF3735L Date posted 09/23/2021 Address 805 East Old 56 Highway, Olathe, KS Job Type Full-time Job Status Exempt
ITW Pro Brands is a manufacturer of lubricants, cleaning chemicals, and corrosion preventatives formulated to maximize equipment productivity and product quality for customers. We go to market through B2B with a focus on the automotive, aviation, fabricated metal, food processing and machinery manufacturing market segments. Offering a brand portfolio that is well recognized within these industrial channels, our premium products address customer pain points and our direct sales team provides expert, value-added consulting at the customer level. ITW Pro Brands has 3 manufacturing facilities (Olathe, KS, Tucker, GA and DeWitt, IA) and a formulation lab in Carol Stream, IL and employs 250+ individuals.
The R&D Chemist position will be focused on developing new inks and coatings in support of New Product Development within the Dykem brand as well as improving current formulas for ease of production, cost reduction, and/or to meet regulatory demands. The chemist works closely with Operations, Marketing, and Sales functions to identify, design and develop new inks and coatings.
- Develops new formulas and products, from concept to launch, as specified by the New Product Development process. Key activities include new product development, competitive performance benchmarking, market opportunities, raw material sourcing, product stability testing, scale up, and assessment of regulatory compliance.
- Works with commercial team and customers to understand application details and define new product requirements.
- Routinely evaluates current product formulas versus competition to identify opportunities for performance improvements in formulas, processes, regulatory compliance, and cost.
- Ensure that all critical raw materials have secondary sources of supply.
- Develops, validates, and maintains analytical test methods and instrument calibration processes for use by R&D and QC.
- Actively supports the Change Control process for launching new products and making changes to existing products.
- Able to lead a project team from concept through deploy.
- Actively supports and participates in the site Laboratory Safety and Chemical Hygiene Program.
- Assists Manufacturing and Quality if needed in investigating manufacturing abnormalities and conducting root cause analysis for rejected batches of product; presents findings to Quality for review/approval prior to making changes.
- Able to communicate effectively in conveying technical concepts and product benefits clearly to a varied audience.
- Manages multiple projects/tasks independently or on a team using the 80/20 philosophy.
- Follows AS9100 Quality Management System as applies to R&D and as defined in the Quality System.
- Maintains electronic/manual record-keeping systems for projects and customer samples
- Attends company sponsored training and outside seminars as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Acts in accordance with company policies, procedures and corporate ethics.
- B.S. degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Material Science, or related field.
- 5+ years professional experience as an R&D or Formulation Chemist in a manufacturing environment with at least 3 years professional experience working with solvent-based paints, inks, or coatings.
OTHER QUALIFICAITON and COMPETENCIES
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Able to adapt effectively to changes in the work environment; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Excellent listening skills and ability to review all details prior to determining and implementing appropriate actions.
- Decision-making capabilities and sense of urgency.
- elf-sufficient, resourceful, results-driven, and accountable.
- Represent the company in a professional and ethical manner.
- Communicate effectively both written and verbally with all organizational levels.
- Effective interpersonal skills and the ability to function in a team environment.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Mathematical skills appropriate to scientific computations.
- Proficiency in basic chemistry, formulation, & manufacturing processes.
- Proficiency in performing and interpreting standard analytical testing.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products.
- Foster, communicate and exemplify the values of ITW; act with integrity and trust, operate with simplicity, treat everyone with respect and partake in shared risk.
- Commitment and willingness to strive toward achieving Divisional goals and business objectives
WORK ENVIROMENT and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Must be capable of working for short periods of time in a manufacturing environment, which may require exposure to heat, cold, machinery and controlled chemicals.
- Must be capable of working in a standard office / laboratory environment.
- Maintain organized and accurate records.
- Responsible for workspace and any assigned company property, equipment, or materials.
- Responsible for adhering to all corporate and company policies and procedures.
- Must be capable of and willing to accept all work rules, safety and environmental instructions, policies and procedures, as it applies to the job.
- Will work with chemicals, some might be hazardous.
- Follow all safety precautions including review of SDS’s if necessary.
ITW Pro Brands is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Want personalized job recommendations based on your interests?
Sign up for alerts to get started!
At ITW, we value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this online application system process due to your disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.