Senior Electrical EngineerApply Job ID REF4327B Date posted 04/14/2022 Address 825 University Avenue, Norwood, MA Job Type Full-time Job Status Exempt
Instron is a global organization that designs, manufactures, sells and services materials testing systems. Instron is a clear global leader in materials testing applications and its leadership in the marketplace is continually expanding. You will find that our established strength, commitment to our core values and team focus provides an engaging work environment and offers exceptional opportunities for personal and career development.
Instron is part of Illinois Tool Works (ITW), a global Fortune 250 diversified industrial manufacturer of value-added consumables and specialty equipment with related service businesses.
We are looking for a Senior Electrical Systems Engineer to join our Continuous Improvement and Manufacturing Engineering team. This position requires a hands-on individual with expertise in all aspects of electronic design. The ideal candidate will have a fundamental understanding of the product development process and in-depth experience in analog and digital circuit and firmware. This position is responsible for manufacturing support and troubleshooting quality defects in existent products and evaluating alternates for electric/electronic components in accordance with general and machine safety directive ISO compliance and lean manufacturing. Specific responsibilities include:
- Developing, reviewing, updating, modifying, and approving electrical design plans. Support New Product Introductions to Manufacturing.
- Acting as a technical resource to support other functions of the business, including Production, Product Management, Quality, R&D, Sales, Technical Support and Field Service.
- Troubleshooting system and board level failures; drive containment actions and implement resolutions to prevent recurrence.
- Supporting PCB manufacturing including issue resolution, quality improvements and obsolete components replacement.
- Driving design update projects that resolve issues on our current product lines leading to increased function, improved quality/reliability or resolving customer escalations.
- Evaluates and analyzes the design of each part to determine the most effective and economical methods/procedures for manufacturing.
- 5+ years of Electrical Engineering experience in a design or manufacturing environment.
- Experience with Control systems, Embedded Design and microprocessors and multi-layer, mixed signal PCB Design, Manufacturing, Testing and Troubleshooting (Altium experience preferred).
- Experience with PCB Testing Fixture (ICT/Functional testers) concept development, implementation, and support.
- Knowledge of engineering concepts, fundamentals and theory, DC/DC switching power supply design, analog and digital design, and various communications protocols (i.e., Ethernet, USB, CAN, SPI, RS232, and I2C).
- Ability to diagnose electrical/mechanical problems to the root-cause. Good analytical and problem-solving ability, including an aptitude for identifying fundamentals and the ability to balance technical demands with production realities.
- Experience with lab equipment such as Analyzers, E/M devices, precision mechanisms, analog and digital circuitry, oscilloscopes, DVMs, multifunction generators, etc. and Ability to solder/de-solder fine pitch components.
- Experience with machine components such as motors, motion control, sensor interfaces, interlocks, data acquisition and processing (FPGA/DSP).
- Able to prototype, debug, simulate, test, and troubleshoot electronic and electrical systems and ability to prepare clear and accurate project reports and process documentation.
- Embedded programming experience is a plus.
- Project management experience.
- Analytical, abstract thinking, decision making and problem-solving skills. Strong Interpersonal and communication skills.
Take this opportunity to join a professional and successful team where you can make a significant impact immediately. Enjoy competitive compensation and generous benefits that includes health, dental, life and LTD insurance, paid parental leave, 401k (with match), and a generous tuition reimbursement program.
Instron is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
ITW is an equal opportunity employer. We value our colleagues’ unique perspectives, experiences and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
As an equal employment opportunity employer, ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Want personalized job recommendations based on your interests?
Sign up for alerts to get started!
At ITW, we value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Read more information here.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this online application system process due to your disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.