Senior Electrical EngineerApply Job ID REF7282R Date posted 07/21/2022 Address 825 University Avenue, Norwood, MA Job Type Full-time Job Status Exempt
If you are looking for a challenging and exciting career in the world of technology, then look no further. Instron is the recognized worldwide market leader in the materials testing industry. We are a global organization that designs, manufactures, sells and services mechanical testing systems. You will find a fast-paced environment with a strong focus on global collaboration, minimal layers of management and the freedom to make meaningful contributions in a setting that encourages creativity and out-of-the-box thinking. Our work culture values respect, trust, shared risk, and simplicity.
Have you ever wondered how a potato chip always has the right crispiness level? or how your game controller can survive several drops whether you are excited for your win or upset by a loss? How about eyewear (eyeglasses, sunglasses) being able to withstand impact forces? Visit Instron’s YouTube Channel to see our customer’s applications. And check out Facebook Watch at https://fb.watch/a8ILPde4GP/ for additional video.
Our systems are trusted by 95% of the world’s largest manufacturing companies to gather critical data, informing the design of components and materials. You will find that our established strength, commitment to our core values and team focus provides an engaging work environment and offers exceptional opportunities for personal and career development.
Instron is part of Illinois Tool Works (ITW), a global diversified industrial manufacturer of value-added consumables and specialty equipment with related service businesses.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our expanding R&D team requiring a hands-on individual with experience in all aspects of electronic design, a fundamental understanding of the product development process and experience in analog and digital circuit design. In this role, you will be responsible for conceptualization, design, development, testing, and documentation of electronic designs for new and existing instrumentation. Principal responsibilities include:
- Participating in the research and development phase of a project and preparation of project documents and reports.
- Evaluating electrical systems, products, components, and applications.
- Verifying system and component capabilities by designing testing methods and testing properties.
- Developing electrical products by analyzing customer and marketing requirements, researching and testing manufacturing, and assembly methods and materials.
- Creating robust and reliable embedded electrical designs and documenting designs for release to manufacturing.
- Implementing new technologies, techniques, and concepts to enable functionality, simplify designs, improve reliability, and reduce overall manufacturing costs.
- Troubleshooting system and board level failures; implement resolutions to prevent recurrence.
The successful candidate will have a Bachelor or Master of Science in Electrical Engineering (or equivalent), a passion for technology, and electrical engineering experience. Additional requirements include:
- An understanding of the product development process from concept to manufacture.
- Strong knowledge of engineering concepts, fundamentals and theory, DC/DC switching power supply design, analog and digital design, and various communications protocols (i.e., Ethernet, USB, CAN, SPI, RS232, and I2C).
- Experience with Embedded Design and microprocessors such as ARM Processors and SoCs.
- Strong familiarity with lab equipment such as signal analyzers, oscilloscopes, DVMs, multifunction generators, etc.
- Schematic capture and PCB layout experience for multi-layer, mixed signal designs (Altium preferred).
- PCB design for manufacturability, including domestic and non-domestic sourcing.
- Ability to prototype, debug, simulate, test, and troubleshoot electronic and electrical systems.
- Component selection and analysis as required to guarantee system performance.
- Familiarity with machine components such as motors, motion control, sensor interfaces, interlocks, data acquisition and processing.
- Ability and desire to work both independently and as a part of cross-functional team of electrical, mechanical, firmware and software engineers.
- Exceptionally self-motivated and directed.
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and projects.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Design of FPGA and DSP systems.
- Understanding of VHDL.
- High Speed digital design (HDMI, USB 3.0).
- Knowledge of the Machinery Directive and its harmonized standards.
- Familiarity with CE/UL/CSA, ISO-13849, IEC-61010, 60204, IEC 61000-4-2/3/4/5/6/8 and machine design.
- Sign on Bonus and Competitive pay
- Hybrid work opportunity
- Medical (multiple options), vision and dental insurance
- Company provided life insurance and both short- and long-term disability
- 401(k) retirement savings with a company match
- 100% Tuition reimbursement
- Parental leave and adoption assistance
Instron is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
ITW is an equal opportunity employer. We value our colleagues’ unique perspectives, experiences and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
As an equal employment opportunity employer, ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Want personalized job recommendations based on your interests?
Sign up for alerts to get started!
At ITW, we value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Read more information here.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this online application system process due to your disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.