Electrical Engineer or Electromechanical EngineerApply Job ID REF5417X Date posted 04/14/2022 Address 825 University Avenue, Norwood, MA Job Type Full-time Job Status Exempt
Instron is a global organization that designs, manufactures, sells and services materials testing systems. Our systems are trusted by 95% of the world’s largest manufacturing companies to gather critical data, informing the design of materials and components. You will find that our established strength, commitment to our core values and team focus provides an engaging work environment and offers exceptional opportunities for personal and career development.
Instron is part of Illinois Tool Works (ITW), a global Fortune 250 diversified industrial manufacturer of value-added consumables and specialty equipment with related service businesses.
We are looking for an Electrical or Electromechanical Engineer to join our expanding team. In this role you will be responsible for all aspects of electrical design related to the development of our high force testing systems. Specific responsibilities include:
- Developing, reviewing, modifying, and approving electrical design plans.
- Evaluating electrical systems, products, components, and applications.
- Developing electrical products by studying customer and marketing requirements, researching and testing manufacturing and assembly methods and materials.
- Developing test methods to confirm system and component capabilities.
- Supporting new product introductions to manufacturing.
- Implementing new technologies, techniques, and concepts to improve product functionality, simplify designs, improve reliability, and reduce cost.
- Acting as a technical resource to support the HFA team and other functions of the business such as Manufacturing, Product Management, Quality, R&D, Sales, Technical Support and Field Service.
- Troubleshooting system and board level failures; drive containment actions and implement resolutions to prevent recurrence.
- Driving design update projects that resolving issues on our current product lines.
The successful candidate will have a technical or scientific education (preferably Electrical Engineering, Electro-Mechanical Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering), a passion for technology and engineering experience in a design or manufacturing environment. Additional requirements include:
- Knowledge of engineering concepts, fundamentals and theory, DC/DC switching power supply design, analog and digital design, and various communications protocols (i.e. Ethernet, USB, CAN, SPI, RS232, and I2C).
- Experience with Control systems, Embedded Design and microprocessors and multi-layer, mixed signal PCB Design, Manufacturing, Testing and Troubleshooting (Altium experience preferred).
- Ability to diagnose electrical/mechanical problems to the root-cause. Good analytical and problem-solving ability, including an aptitude for identifying fundamentals and the ability to balance technical demands with production realities.
- Experience with lab equipment such as Analyzers, E/M devices, precision mechanisms, analog and digital circuitry, oscilloscopes, DVMs, multifunction generators, etc. and ability to solder/de-solder fine pitch components.
- Experience with machine components such as motors, motion control, sensor interfaces, interlocks, data acquisition and processing (FPGA/DSP).
- Able to prototype, debug, simulate, test, and troubleshoot electronic and electrical systems and ability to prepare clear and accurate project reports and process documentation.
- Exceptionally self-motivated and directed. Result orientated.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and projects.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Knowledge of SolidWorks and EU Directives such as Machinery, Low Voltage, and Electromagnetic Compatibility Directives is preferred.
Take this opportunity to join a professional and successful team where you can make a significant impact immediately. Enjoy competitive compensation and generous benefits that includes health, dental, life and LTD insurance, paid parental leave, 401k (with match), 100% Tuition reimbursement, and parental leave and adoption assistance.
ITW is an equal opportunity employer. We value our colleagues’ unique perspectives, experiences and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
As an equal employment opportunity employer, ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Want personalized job recommendations based on your interests?
Sign up for alerts to get started!
At ITW, we value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Read more information here.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this online application system process due to your disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.