Design EngineerApply Job ID REF1181R Date posted 04/05/2021 Address 16955 West Ryerson Road, New Berlin, WI Job Type Full-time Job Status Exempt
ITW Appliance Components serves all the major Appliance OEM in the US, Europe, Asia, and Mexico and their tier suppliers. This global division manufactures mechanical, electromechanical and electrical components and assemblies with a variety of manufacturing processes. We have locations in the US, China, Mexico, the UK, Slovenia, Hungary, Bulgaria and Italy. ITW Industrial Components is a separate Business Unit within the ITW Appliance Division focused on industrial customers and applications.
The division drives profitability by leveraging its innovative solutions and application engineering. In addition to ITW’s industry leading research and development capabilities, the division enhances our customers’ competitive advantage by . . .
- The division drives profitability by leveraging its innovative solutions and application engineering.
- In addition to ITW’s industry leading research and development capabilities, the division enhances our customers’ competitive advantage by…
- Maintaining advanced global engineering and manufacturing facilities.
- Identifying customer needs to provide continued added value solutions.
- Continually improving processes, material and designs to ensure every solution exceeds customer expectations while providing unparalleled value.
The Design Engineer will report to the Engineering Manager and will be responsible for development of new mechanical and electromechanical products and maintenance of existing products by performing the following duties:
- Analyze research data and product specifications to determine feasibility of a product proposal.
- Develop concept designs in a timely fashion to aid in new product sales.
- Design molded plastic, molded or stamped elastomer, and stamped or formed metal parts.
- Use tools to produce designs that can be manufactured in a high volume production environment.
- Analyze mechanisms using free body diagrams, solid models, or mechanism software.
- Analyze piece part stresses using hand calculations or finite element analysis.
- Confer with research personnel to resolve problems, prepare modifications or develop new designs.
- Use computer assisted engineering and design software to perform engineering analyses and design tasks.
- Lead the team effort to complete design failure mode and effects analysis.
- Perform detailed tolerance analysis for development of new products and changes to existing products.
- Prepare product 3D designs and detailed drawings.
- Document and maintain product design and test requirements.
- Confer with laboratory staff in creating test plans and setting up tests.
- Analyze test data and reports to determine if a design meets functional and performance specifications.
- Review tool designs.
- Understand UL and IEC requirements
- Review and disposition piece part inspection reports.
- Coordinate manufacturing or building of prototype products.
- Follow and drive ITW Appliance Component’s APQP tollgate development process.
- Create and maintain project documentation in compliane with ISO 9001.
- Assist in the development of assembly and test fixtures.
- Confer with purchasing staff to select components and materials.
- Travel to visit customers for design reviews, data gathering and presentations.
- Travel to other ITW locations to confer with operations team on new and existing product manufacturing.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering (BSME) from four-year college or university, and five years related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience. A master’s degree in engineering is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience with CAD and solid modeling using a recognized software package (CREO/Pro-E, SolidWorks) and finite element analysis.
- Demonstrated excellent time management, prioritization abilities and strong project management skills.
- Ability to manage complexity and change.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills with experience in communicating and working with a remote staff.
- Ability to generate respect and trust from staff and external constituencies along with the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues to create a result driven, team-oriented environment.
- Willing to travel up to 15%.
ITW is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Want personalized job recommendations based on your interests?
Sign up for alerts to get started!
At ITW, we value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this online application system process due to your disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.