Senior Embedded Software EngineerApply Now Submit a Referral Job ID REF11040I Date posted 12/01/2023 Address 111 West Pleasant Street, Milwaukee, WI Job Type Full-time Job Status Exempt
Comprised of a market-leading portfolio of best-in-class brands, the businesses of ITW Welding work together to provide premium performance delivered through a breadth of solutions encompassing welding, cutting, consumables, and accessories. ITW Welding North America represents Miller Electric Welding Equipment, Safety & Accessories, Hobart Filler Metals, and Bernard / Tregaskiss MIG Guns.
Miller Electric Mfg. LLC, is headquartered in Appleton, Wisconsin, and wholly owned by Illinois Tool Works (NYSE: ITW). The company maintains its industry leadership by setting the standard for reliability, quality and responsiveness. Our tagline, “The Power of Blue®,” is inspired by the blue color of Miller equipment.
The company began with an innovation that responded to customer needs, growing from a one-man operation in 1929, to the world’s largest manufacturer of arc welding products. Miller keeps the tradition alive by focusing on its top priority: people.
ITW Welding continues to build its capabilities in software development as a core competency in digitally controlled welding equipment, processes, and systems. To support this effort, we are seeking an experienced embedded software engineer to drive the development of software for new product development efforts, enhancing customer satisfaction across various areas.
This position will require an individual with strong communication and interpersonal skills to work collaboratively with Miller’s engineering, marketing, and product management teams, improving the maintainability of our existing solutions while developing innovative and reliable products. The ideal candidate will possess a strong background in embedded software, embrace a shared vision of component-based, modular design, and demonstrate a proven track record of accomplishments while collaborating effectively within teams.
What You’ll Do:
- Design, develop, test, troubleshoot, and document embedded software for various hardware platforms.
- Create efficient, reliable, and maintainable C/C++ code to control hardware devices, implement algorithms, and handle real-time operations.
- A critical part of this role is integrating embedded controls to achieve arc characteristics that continue delivering world-class arc welding performance.
- Strategically identify opportunities to improve code reuse within Miller by refactoring existing solutions to expand unit test coverage.
- Collaborate with cross-functional engineering teams (including software verification, power electronics and welding), project managers, and product managers to specify, design, develop, and support new product initiatives.
- Stay updated with emerging technologies, industry trends, and best practices in embedded systems development to incorporate new techniques and tools into the software development process.
- Participate in code and design reviews, leveraging your expertise to guide the team towards our long-term software vision.
- Identify areas for process improvement, propose innovative solutions, and contribute to the enhancement of software development methodologies and practices within the team.
- Prioritize tasks, manage timelines, and effectively communicate progress and challenges to meet project deadlines and deliverables.
What You’ll Need:
- A bachelor’s degree in computer engineering, computer science, software engineering, or electrical engineering with a minimum of 4 years of industry experience
- Experience designing, developing, testing, and debugging embedded software in alignment with the essential job functions above.
- Strong knowledge and experience in embedded systems development, including:
- Object-oriented design in C/C++ code bases
- Embedded memory management considerations
- Interfacing with embedded microcontroller peripherals (including communications)
- Real-time task management, including interrupt service routines
- Knowledge of software development methodologies and best practices, including version control, code reviews, and testing frameworks.
- Proficiency in using debugging tools, oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, and other hardware/software debugging techniques to identify and resolve issues in embedded systems.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to troubleshoot complex issues and propose effective solutions in a time-sensitive environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to effectively convey technical concepts and collaborate with team members, stakeholders, and customers.
- Experience in numerous embedded controls (e.g., PID control loops, motor control, digital filters, state machines, etc.)
- Experience with real-time operating systems (RTOS)
- Knowledge of electronic circuits, schematics, and board-level design
- Familiarity with continuous integration (e.g., Azure DevOps)
- Familiarity with Agile or Scrum software development process in a team environment
- Limited travel may be required
ITW Welding is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
ITW is an equal opportunity employer. We value our colleagues’ unique perspectives, experiences and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
As an equal employment opportunity employer, ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Submit a Referral
Want personalized job recommendations based on your interests?
Sign up for alerts to get started!
At ITW, we value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Read more information here.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this online application system process due to your disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.