Power Electronics EngineerApply Now Submit a Referral Job ID REF6891C Date posted 12/01/2023 Address 1555 North River Center Drive, Milwaukee, WI Job Type Full-time Job Status Exempt
Comprised of a market-leading portfolio of best-in-class brands, the businesses of ITW Welding work together to provide premium performance delivered through a breadth of solutions encompassing welding, cutting, consumables, and accessories. ITW Welding North America represents Miller Electric Welding Equipment, Safety & Accessories, Hobart Filler Metals, and Bernard / Tregaskiss MIG Guns.
Miller Electric Mfg. LLC, is headquartered in Appleton, Wisconsin, and wholly owned by Illinois Tool Works (NYSE: ITW). The company maintains its industry leadership by setting the standard for reliability, quality and responsiveness. Our tagline, “The Power of Blue®,” is inspired by the blue color of Miller equipment.
The company began with an innovation that responded to customer needs, growing from a one-man operation in 1929, to the world’s largest manufacturer of arc welding products. Miller keeps the tradition alive by focusing on its top priority: people.
ITW Welding continues to build its capabilities in power electronics design in order to create world class welding power supplies for our customers. To support the effort, we are looking for an experienced electrical engineer with power electronics experience to play a key role on New Product Development initiatives for industrial based welding and heating equipment. The engineer will be a key contributor in the investigation, development, and implementation of hardware solutions for new and innovative industrial products with primary focus on switch-mode power conversion (5-30kW). The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of designing and testing multi KW power supplies including semiconductor selection and magnetics design. This position requires a highly motivated individual with exceptional communications and interpersonal skills to work collaboratively with engineering teams, marketing, and product management to develop innovative and reliable products to serve our customer needs. This position will be based in Milwaukee, WI working out of our Engineering HUB (located at Schlitz Park).
- Effectively work on a multidisciplinary team with electrical, software, mechanical, and welding engineers to take projects from original concept through implementation
- Primary responsibilities include design, development, and test of welding power converters for the Industrial Equipment Division’s New Product Development initiatives
- Provide power electronics mentoring and consultation on various projects
- Perform testing and create documentation on new designs
- Participate in project meetings and be responsible for assigned action items
- Ensure adherence to quality standards and project deliverables
- Identify innovative patentable solutions to end market needs
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering with at least 5 years of power electronics design experience
- Experience with power semiconductor selection and testing
- Experience with 230/460/575VAC multi KW power conversion such as motor drives.
- Experience in mixed-signal embedded hardware design including signal conditioning for high-speed/precision signals in a power conversion setting, signaling across multiple insulation boundaries, and gate driver power supplies
- Knowledge of PCB layout considerations for switch mode power supplies
- Proficient with circuit modeling/simulation tools
- This individual must be a self-starter and have strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Candidate must be a team player with a positive attitude
- Experience designing to 3rd party (UL/CSA/CE) standards
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS A PLUS:
- Master’s Degree OR PhD with a power electronics focus
- Magnetics design experience including flyback, forward, and full bridge transformers as well as inductors
- Working knowledge of power conversion control systems
ITW Welding is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
ITW is an equal opportunity employer. We value our colleagues’ unique perspectives, experiences and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
As an equal employment opportunity employer, ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Submit a Referral
Want personalized job recommendations based on your interests?
Sign up for alerts to get started!
At ITW, we value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Read more information here.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this online application system process due to your disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.