Technical WriterApply Job ID REF9623M Date posted 02/28/2023 Address 41 North Waukegan Road, Lake Bluff, IL Job Type Full-time Job Status Exempt
Buehler, a division of Illinois Tool Works, is a leading manufacturer of scientific equipment and supplies for use in material analysis. Over the past 80+ years, Buehler has established sales, manufacturing and laboratory services located throughout North America, Europe and Asia. Comprised of world-class products and brands, such as Wilson Hardness, Buehler continues a long history of providing market-leading technology to support our customers in their sample preparation and material analysis applications.
Buehler’s parent company, ITW, is a Fortune 200 global diversified industrial manufacturer of value-added consumables and specialty equipment with related service businesses. The Company focuses on profitable growth with strong returns across worldwide platforms and businesses. The businesses serve local customers and markets around the globe, with a significant presence in developed as well as emerging markets.
The Technical Writer & Document Controller is responsible for creating, updating, and organizing technical product documentation to support operations, sales, service, and Buehler’s customers. Duties include collaborating with engineering and cross functional product teams to develop and update product manuals, service guides, specification documents, and procedures then organizing them such that they can be accessed and utilized globally.
- Work with employees from various departments (Engineering, Lab, Quality, Service, Marketing, etc.) to identify and format technical information for product manuals and product notices
- Read, understand, and interpret blueprints, drawings, schematics, and specifications to extract technical information and convert it to instruction manuals, maintenance manuals, and setup guides with text and graphics comprehensible by the end user of the equipment
- Update product documentation to support the changing needs of customers, changes in regulatory requirements, and changes to the product offering
- Work with Engineering to update assembly work instructions
- Maintain visual branding on documentation across all Buehler product lines and ensure all technical documentation meets requirements set by Sales and Marketing
- Maintain SharePoint sites, libraries, and templates for use by cross functional global teams
- Manage proper naming conventions, revision control and file storing procedures
- Coordinate with external firms and global teams to manage foreign language translations of documents
- Utilize engineering change procedures to coordinate change notifications to global cross functional teams
- Must be local to the Chicagoland area as this position will require some in-office work/collaboration
- Bachelors’ degree in a Technical field (equivalent education and experience may be considered in lieu of degree).
- 2 - 4 years of experience as an effective Technical Writer, preferably in a technology-based company.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and demonstrating the ability to write in explanatory and procedural styles for multiple audiences.
- Proficient in utilizing writing tools such as Microsoft Word, Adobe Acrobat, or other software tools used for creating technical documents within a professional industry
- Prior experience in using Microsoft SharePoint and strong knowledge of lists and libraries.
- Ability to quickly grasp complex technical concepts.
- Ability to deliver high quality documentation and convey technical information with easily understandable text and pictures.
- Ability to manage deliverables for multiple projects concurrently.
- Understanding and experience with using CAD software such as SolidWorks or Autodesk Inventor is a plus.
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at buehlerHR@buehler.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here.
ITW is an equal opportunity employer. We value our colleagues’ unique perspectives, experiences and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
As an equal employment opportunity employer, ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Want personalized job recommendations based on your interests?
Sign up for alerts to get started!
At ITW, we value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Read more information here.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this online application system process due to your disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.