Product Manager, Material ScienceApply Job ID REF4670S Date posted 04/14/2022 Address 41 Waukegan Road, Lake Bluff, IL Job Type Full-time Job Status Exempt
Buehler, a division of Illinois Tool Works, is a leading manufacturer of scientific equipment and supplies for use in material analysis. Over the past 80+ years, Buehler has established sales, manufacturing and laboratory services located throughout North America, Europe and Asia. Comprised of world-class products and brands, such as Wilson Hardness, Buehler continues a long history of providing market-leading technology to support our customers in their sample preparation and material analysis applications.
Buehler’s parent company, ITW, is a Fortune 200 global diversified industrial manufacturer of value-added consumables and specialty equipment with related service businesses. The Company focuses on profitable growth with strong returns across worldwide platforms and businesses. The businesses serve local customers and markets around the globe, with a significant presence in developed as well as emerging markets.
The Metallurgical Product Manager is a key position focused on profitably growing the sample prep consumable products, a strategic product segment, by developing, implementing and driving marketing/business strategies and tactical action plans contributing to growth in market share and size.
This key position is focused on effectively utilizing ITW’s Toolbox of core business philosophies to manage the lifecycle of multiple product lines, lead business growth initiatives and champion new product development. The Metallurgical Product Manager will collaborate with Marketing to develop lead generation tools, programs and campaigns and with Global Sales Teams to develop and support local growth strategies. The position must effectively utilize the ITW Business Model to lead business growth initiatives as a champion for strategic Market Development, Market Segmentation, Product Positioning, Customer Back Innovation and value-based Sales Strategies.
- Utilize ITW’s core enterprise principles to identify and allocate resources to maximize portfolio profitability and product performance
- Through research and market data know our customer needs and applications and translate those needs into actionable pain points, opportunities and differentiated requirements for consumables
- Understand customer purchasing trends and create action plans around growing customer retention in consumables
- Analyze and communicate sales trends for given product lines using dashboards and tracking reports. Use data driven information to develop strategies
- Create annual growth plans and product strategy for the sample prep consumables product
- Build and maintain an innovation pipeline that supports Buehler’s business strategies
- Identify and prioritize new product opportunities and growth market segments/applications based on market knowledge and voice of customer data
- Create business cases for new product opportunities
- Participate in NPD as outlined in the process document including all gate deliverables assigned to the Product Manager. This includes strategic fit, competitive analysis, prioritized customer pain points, value proposition, business case, key requirements, voice of customer throughout the process, phase in phase out plan, feedback at beta stages and launch materials.
- Review launch for success using NPD gate 6 process and adjust approach if needed
- Manage a portfolio of products through the development, commercialization, growth, maintenance and obsolescence stages
- Convey value propositions for assigned product lines to key market segments through advertising and collateral including brochures, videos and web. Work with content creators to create the desired content
- Create sales tools and playbooks
- Provide product specific training to the sales team
- Own responsibility for ROI on marketing spend for assigned product line
- Generate leads for assigned products
- Develop and execute promotion and growth strategies with sales director
- Determine product pricing for all global regions based on market research, material costs and anticipated demand. Review margins for product lines and adjust pricing to maximize OI
- Develop and maintain relationships with external vendors
- Develop product specification and quality requirements for products to ensure consistency in customer experience.
- Bachelor of Science or Engineering Degree
- 3-5 years related work experience in a technology-based field. Experience in Metallurgical Preparation is preffered
- Previous experience with industrial, scientific or instrumentation equipment is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead business growth initiatives and projects
- Proven ability to identify and understand market segmentation, to develop financial business justification, and to deliver proposals to upper management
- Experience championing product developments among a multi-functional and international team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Capable of effectively managing priorities and time when provided multiple projects, of varying magnitude, with firm delivery dates
- Ability to demonstrate products & train others is essential
- Up to 30% domestic or international travel
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at buehlerHR@buehler.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here.
ITW is an equal opportunity employer. We value our colleagues’ unique perspectives, experiences and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
As an equal employment opportunity employer, ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Want personalized job recommendations based on your interests?
Sign up for alerts to get started!
At ITW, we value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Read more information here.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this online application system process due to your disability, please email email@example.com to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.