Mechanical EngineerApply Job ID REF3515W Date posted 09/01/2021 Address 41 Waukegan Road, Lake Bluff, IL Job Type Full-time Job Status Exempt
Buehler, a division of Illinois Tool Works, is a leading manufacturer of scientific equipment and supplies for use in material analysis. Over the past 80+ years, Buehler has established sales, manufacturing and laboratory services located throughout North America, Europe and Asia. Comprised of world-class products and brands, such as Wilson Hardness, Buehler continues a long history of providing market-leading technology to support our customers in their sample preparation and material analysis applications.
Buehler’s parent company, ITW, is a Fortune 200 global diversified industrial manufacturer of value-added consumables and specialty equipment with related service businesses. The Company focuses on profitable growth with strong returns across worldwide platforms and businesses. The businesses serve local customers and markets around the globe, with a significant presence in developed as well as emerging markets.
This role will focus on designing and supporting machines from conception through end of life. The incumbent will develop machines and specify components for automated test and measurement equipment including sectioning, sample mounting, grinding/polishing and hardness testing equipment for material preparation and analysis. This includes initiating concept designs based on addressing customer needs, communicating those designs to other team members, developing those designs on 3D CAD, managing those designs to completion including iterative engineering testing and customer validation, and supporting the designs through the product’s lifecycle.
- Provide engineering support for commercialized products and conduct root cause analysis to solve manufacturing or field issues. Recommend, implement and track performance of solutions and design changes.
- Develop new product design utilizing 3D solid modeling software. Create engineering drawings, bill of materials, manufacturing assembly instructions and product testing procedures
- Work with marketing, purchasing, manufacturing and other departments to develop product requirements, project scope and determine costs and manufacturing feasibility
- Select and implement appropriate manufacturing processes and vendors to ensure cost-effective, robust products that achieve market success
- Complete product design risk assessments (FMEA and safety risk assessments) on new product designs and adjust product designs to minimize risk
- Create test procedures and oversee the actual testing and analyze the results. Provide support in the development of quality, manufacturing and supplier inspection instructions
- Update and revise documentation and engineering drawings. Prepare and submit engineering change notices. As needed, assist Technical Service with solving customer call issues
- B.S. in mechanical engineering or equivalent.
- 2 – 8 years’ work experience designing automated electro-mechanical equipment, preferably laboratory or diagnostic machines.
- A high degree of mechanical and electrical aptitude
- High level of design creativity and problem-solving skills as well as a proven ability to troubleshoot electro-mechanical equipment.
- Familiar with mechanisms, motors, controls, clutches, brakes, gearing, tooling and assembly methods.
- Experience with manufacturing methods and equipment, including machining tools and practices, materials, heat treating, die castings, sand castings, vacuum castings, sheet metal, powdered metal and plastics processing.
- Familiarity with GD&T, sheet metal design, and welded assemblies is a plus
- Fluency in 3D CAD (AutoCad Inventor or SolidWorks preferred).
- Proven and effective communication, analytical, judgment, initiative and execution skills.
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at buehlerHR@buehler.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here.
Want personalized job recommendations based on your interests?
Sign up for alerts to get started!
At ITW, we value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this online application system process due to your disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.