NPD EngineerApply Job ID REF4745V Date posted 04/14/2022 Address 11411 Price Road, Hebron, IL Job Type Full-time Job Status Exempt
Founded in 1912, Illinois Tool Works Inc. (NYSE: ITW) is a diversified, Fortune 200 manufacturing company that delivers specialized expertise, innovative thinking, and value-added products to meet critical customer needs in a variety of industries. Ranked among Fortune Magazine’s most admired companies, the company focuses on solid growth, improving profitability and strong returns across its worldwide platforms and divisions. These divisions serve customers and markets around the globe, with a significant presence in developed as well as emerging markets. ITW’s revenues totaled $14.1billion in 2019.
ITW Medical is comprised of three strong medical product brands - Coeur, Filtertek & Precise - situated to proactively meet the needs of customers in the marketplace. Coeur is a leading provider of disposable medical products used in diagnostic imaging and other medical procedures. The Filtertek product line is comprised of custom plastic insert molded filtration and flow control components for global OEM medical device customers. Precise Biomedical provides preventative maintenance, service support and parts for power injectors used in the medical imaging market.
This position is inside in the Engineering group and will report directly to the New Product Development Manager. The primary objective will be to drive the customer-back innovation efforts in the Medical Division’s high-growth Business Segments. This position will be responsible for the product development process from beginning to end, from verifying the viability of the market and customers, understanding key customer pain points, and mobilizing engineering resources all the way through to product launch.
This is a highly strategic role within the ITW Medical business and provides a path for driving meaningful impact within the business, while accelerating career growth.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead and support the development, modification, implementation and supporting of Infusion disposable components through adherence to established design control processes and good engineering practices. Lead others to solve technical problems using engineering and statistical techniques, utilize design of experiments (DOE). Interfaces with customers and suppliers on high-volume disposable medical component design and is constantly on the lookout for new, better ways to do things.
- Makes design changes to existing products, ensuring compatibility through appropriate testing. Provides engineering and technical support to production with respect to product specifications and requirements. Guides the successful completion of major programs or projects.
- Concept Design: Lead and support product development from concepts through various stages of prototyping to final design by applying sound and good engineering principles including product requirements, concept design and selection, prototyping, testing, etc.
- Design for manufacturability through close collaboration with Operations and Project Engineering Teams. Effectively perform design verification and transfer. Complete FMEA and Risk analysis as a part of the design control process.
- Customer: Work directly with customer R&D teams to identify and solve problems through innovative problem solving and product design to create sustainable differentiation. Understand customer requirements and translate those requirements into product designs, while using Design Control and ensuring value is delivered to customer and patient.
- Ability to translate customer needs and pain points into a value proposition that can be supported with a strong business case
- Team Work: Serve as a lead technical role on the project team. The incumbent will work closely with fellow Engineers, Customers, Sales and Manufacturing regarding New Product Development.
- Apply ITW Toolbox and 80-20 to effectively drive results in a fast-paced, collaborative, low-ego work environment
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Plastics, Biomedical) required
- A minimum of 3-5 yrs years related work experience required
- Previous experience with product design in Plastic Injection molding in a high-volume manufacturing environment required.
- Injection mold tooling design experience preferred
- Fluency in 3D CAD (Solidworks preferred)
- Working understanding of part design layout and GD&T
- Understanding of DFMEA & PFMEA methodology and approach
- Understanding of advanced analysis tools and methods to solve complex technical problems (e.g. 3-D Modeling and Design, Computational Fluid Dynamics, and Finite Element Analysis).
- Mold-flow analysis experience is a plus
- Ability to independently test, analyze and solves technical problems
- Experience with medical device manufacturing strongly preferred.
- Must exhibit excellent organizational skills and be detail oriented
- Ability to work independently and with cross-functional teams
- Effective oral, interpersonal, and written communication skills.
- Self-directed with creative problem-solving ability
- Ability to train and coach others from technical expertise
ITW offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including competitively priced medical and dental coverage the first of the month following hire, free life insurance, paid vacation and holidays, and immediate 401k matching. Additional retirement savings contribution (above and beyond 401k) is awarded at no cost after one year.
ITW Medical is an equal opportunity, equal employment, affirmative action employer. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone is welcome to contribute their unique talents and ideas. We encourage applications from females, males, disabled/protected or other veterans, persons with disabilities, all races and ethnicities, sexual orientations and gender identities. Reasonable accommodation will be made to enable persons with disabilities to apply and to perform the essential job functions. If you require assistance with completing an application, please reply that you require assistance.
ITW is an equal opportunity employer. We value our colleagues’ unique perspectives, experiences and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
As an equal employment opportunity employer, ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Want personalized job recommendations based on your interests?
Sign up for alerts to get started!
At ITW, we value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Read more information here.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this online application system process due to your disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.