Industrial Business Unit ManagerApply Job ID REF2896S Date posted 08/13/2021 Address 407 West Vine Street, Hatfield, PA Job Type Full-time Job Status Exempt
Brooks Instrument (www.brooksinstrument.com), an industry leader in flow and pressure instrumentation for critical applications, is seeking candidates for the Industrial Business Unit Manager position that will be based at the company headquarters in Hatfield, Pennsylvania (suburban Philadelphia). The company has manufacturing locations in Pennsylvania, Hungary, and Korea, and also maintains sales and service offices throughout the world. Our high-tech products are used in laboratory and process applications in end markets such as: life sciences, petrochemical, semiconductor, LED, alternative energy, and analytical instruments.
Brooks is a division of ITW (Illinois Tool Works), a fortune 200 company. ITW is one of the world’s leading diversified manufacturers of specialized industrial equipment, consumables, and related service businesses. The company has operations in 56 countries and employs over 50,000 employees. These talented employees, many of whom have specialized engineering or scientific expertise, contribute to ITW’s global leadership in innovation. The company is proud of its broad portfolio of nearly 10,000 active patents, and is focused on fully leveraging its highly differentiated business model to deliver solid growth with consistent best-in-class margins and return on capital.
Reporting to the Vice President and General Manager of Brooks Instrument.
This position will play an integral role in establishing the company’s strategic direction and will be instrumental is helping drive the future expansion of the business. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing leadership for the global activities of Brooks Instrument’s Industrial business. He / She will ensure the industrial business meets or exceeds annual revenue and profitability goals, as well as prepare the business to achieve longer term growth objectives. The Industrial business is comprised of three distinct business units – Industrial Mass Flow (ITMF), Variable Area Purge (VA) and Industrial Variable Area (VAI), which share a Sales organization and channel. He / she must weigh the needs and opportunities within the various business when setting priorities and making decisions about resource allocation and investment in the business. He / She must work collaboratively with the Brooks functional leaders and their respective teams to strengthen develop products and services, set manufacturing strategies and align resources to achieve shared objectives. They must also utilize the ITW management and continuous improvement toolbox and principles to introduce organizational initiatives aimed at promoting process simplification and targeted business focus.
Essential Functions / Key Focus Areas
- Plan, develop and implement innovative business plans, organization policies, and goals that drive short term profitability and long-term growth by providing value-added customer service and product differentiation.
- Generate and manage the budget and take responsibility for the full P & L performance of the business segment.
- Develop and maintain a strong rapport with key customers and distributors to understand customer needs, ensure satisfaction with our service and repair approach, and provide feedback to the worldwide organization.
- Keep abreast of competitive activity to understand and enhance the business unit’s position in the market place.
- Establish a results oriented management style that measures and evaluates individual performance against clearly defined accountable competencies, responsibilities and objectives.
- Attract, develop, and retain talent within the business unit to ensure the competency level of all employees is sufficient to be fully effective in their roles.
- Coordinate with the global functional teams in the business to ensure cross functional and cross geographic cooperation.
- Direct and coordinate the promotion of industrial products to develop new markets, increase market share, and obtain competitive market position through thinking strategically, demonstrating entrepreneurialism, experimenting, and dealing effectively with a changing business climate.
- Actively participate in creating a safe and positive work environment for all employees by ensuring employees are properly trained, safety requirements are effectively communicated, and safety hazards are identified and corrected.
- Instill a sense of urgency to ensure that projects are completed on schedule and on budget.
- Support company continual improvement initiatives.
- Support front end business development activities including planning, customer visits, presentations and proposal development.
- Collaborate extensively with external customers and distributors, and internally across Brooks Instrument to grow the industrial equipment business.
- Develop a deep understanding of customer needs, both from a technical and service level standpoint.
- Serve as a counselor and catalyst for the business in identifying areas for improvement and revenue generation to achieve increased operational efficiencies and productivity.
- Oversee competitor programs to ensure Brooks is effectively positioned to compete and win in the marketplace.
- Create data driven presentations that illustrate Brooks competitive differentiators.
- Stay abreast of market and business trends impacting the industrial equipment business.
- Network with counterparts at other ITW businesses to understand best practices and integrate this knowledge gained into work practices.
- Anticipate and react to major changes to ensure market competitiveness.
- Foster an environment that values creatively solving problems and delivering results.
- Instill a sense of urgency to ensure that all activities are completed on schedule and budget.
- Act as a disruptive stimulator to the rest of the business by questioning the status quo and providing strategic foresight to fuel the company's competitive edge going forward.
- Act with a high sense of trust and integrity.
- Professional Experience – Minimum of 10 years experience in marketing and/or technical leadership roles of which at least 5 years have been in progressively responsible leadership roles. Experience in Global 500 companies as well as smaller organizations is desirable.
- Functional Experience – Business leader with a track record of building high performing teams, developing and executing growth strategies, leading cross-functional groups, and successfully interfacing with a direct and indirect sales force. Familiarity with the ITW 80/20 concepts preferred.
- Industry Experience – Experience working for an industrial manufacturing business will be highly valued. Some level of exposure to flow & pressure measurement & control desirable. Further, experience working in or supporting industrial customers in fields such as: medical devices, petro-chemical, biotech/pharmaceutical, food & beverage, or analytical instruments preferred.
- Education: A bachelor’s degree in a business and / or technical field required. A master’s degree in business or a technical discipline preferred.
Critical Competencies for Success
- Constructive Team Leader – Leads by example and makes those around him/her better. Attributes include being inclusive, hands-on, strategic, articulate, energetic, accountable, decisive, and hard working. A positive motivator who encourages and persuades, and an excellent team builder who knows how to attract talent, remove obstacles without alienating others, train, manage, reward, recognize, and retain a world class team.
- Entrepreneurial – Able to work without substantial infrastructure. Must have the ability to “zoom-in and out,” to dive in to the trenches at one moment and tackle strategy the next.
- Excellent Communication Skills – Maintains an open flow of two-way communication, exhibiting strong verbal, written and presentation skills, stating expectations clearly and being visible to all stakeholders. Exhibits executive presence in front of both internal and external audiences. Being a good listener is a critical success factor.
- Impeccable Integrity – Embodies and practices unquestioned personal and business integrity. Recognized as a highly credible business leader. Creates an environment of trust by acting with fairness and consistency, keeping commitments, and providing rationale for decisions.
- Team Player with Maturity – An aggressive, results-oriented individual who, at the same time, is the consummate team player who can effectively negotiate with others to achieve win-win outcomes. He/She will be well respected by senior management, peers, and subordinates, and will be secure in his or her technical and managerial abilities.
- Open Minded – A resilient and committed executive with a flexible and open operating style; non-political and non-bureaucratic; someone with a natural and effective consultative approach who will gain the trust and respect of individuals at all levels.
Reports to: Vice President and General Manager of Brooks Instrument
Peer Relationships: Quality Leader, Operations Leader, Chief Technology Officer, HR Leader, Finance Leader, Semiconductor Business Unit Leader, Service Business Unit Leader
Our employees enjoy competitive, merit-based salary plus excellent benefits including:
- Health and dental insurance
- Company Paid Life Insurance / Short and Long Term Disability
- 401K plan with generous company match
- Vacation, personal days and holidays
- Continuing education reimbursement program
- Flexible spending accounts
The opportunity to join a well established (70 + years in business) yet dynamically changing organization that works together as a team to meet the challenges of satisfying customers’ needs and managing rapid growth to better compete in a global marketplace.
ITW Company Overview
ITW was built on innovation and the strength of new ideas. These values have helped us expand into multiple platforms in nearly 60 countries. But at each of our businesses, the independent entrepreneurial spirit and freedom to innovate remain strong. It’s the highly talented people at ITW businesses all over the world who drive our success through new products and customer driven solutions. Together, we are ITW—a Fortune 200 company that has prospered for 100 years, and changed the way people live and work, all over the world.
Please visit our website: http://www.brooksinstrument.com/
Brooks Instrument is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without required to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Want personalized job recommendations based on your interests?
Sign up for alerts to get started!
At ITW, we value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this online application system process due to your disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.