Global Quality DirectorApply Job ID REF1432W Date posted 04/05/2021 Address 407 West Vine Street, Hatfield, PA Job Type Full-time Job Status Exempt
Brooks Instrument, a global manufacturer of flow and pressure measurement and control products for critical applications, and a division of ITW (A Fortune 200 Company) is seeking candidates for a Global Quality Director. Brooks maintains manufacturing, sales, and service center facilities around the world, and our products are used in laboratory and process applications in end markets such as: life sciences, petro-chemicals, semiconductor, analytical instrumentation, nuclear, and solar cells.
Reporting to the General Manager, the Director of Quality is responsible for developing a vision and strategy to ensure that Brooks products and services meet customer requirements and exceed customer expectations. This position will be responsible for ensuring that key customer-facing metrics accurately reflect the expectations of customers, that these metrics are consistently applied across the business, communicated to key stakeholders and used to continuously improve the performance of the business. This position will be responsible for working closely with Engineering, Operations, Sales & Marketing, Customer Service and IT to instill a sense of urgency with regards to the Brooks Quality System and drive change.
- Interface regularly with key customers to understand their expectations, review their assessment of Brooks performance and communicate improvement activities and corrective actions.
- Ensure customer expectations are accurately reflected in KPIs, specifications and requirements and communicated to key personnel within the organization. Improve customer satisfaction by continually enhancing processes that affect customer Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Foster a culture of structured problem solving by promoting the use of 8Ds for root cause/corrective action and analytical techniques to quantify problems.
- Collect, analyze and summarize data from the field, production or internal testing to compel others to make improvements to product, processes or standards.
- Maintain ongoing assessments of product reliability based on field performance.
- Proactively assess the effectiveness of manufacturing quality systems through process audits and drive corrective and preventative action as needed.
- Ensure conformance to control plans for all critical processes and equipment in Production, Service and Order Fulfillment.
- Work collaboratively with members of the manufacturing, R&D, and marketing teams, implement agreed-upon enhancements to processes and products to improve quality and/or customer satisfaction.
- Play an active role new product development. Comply with best practices in design for Reliability, quality, manufacturability, profitability. Ensure field quality data is factored into design decision and manufacturing process development and to assure adherence to new product development process - DFMEA/PFMEA, control plans, etc. are in place.
- Ensure compliance with relevant national and international standards, including governmental codes and regulations.
- Support external audits (both customer and agency) assuring proper preparation and closure of any findings identified during the audit.
- Manage staffing, training and performance evaluations to develop and improve staff in multiple locations (USA, Hungary and Korea).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in use of MS Office applications
Reports to: General Manager
Direct Reports: Quality Managers, Quality Engineers in US, Hungary and Korea operations.
Key Relationships: Global Operations Leader
Global Sales Leader, Industrial
Global Sales Leader, Semiconductor
Global Human Resource Leaders
Global Finance Controller
Business Unit Manager, Semiconductor
Business Unit Manager, Industrial
Business Unit Manager, Service
- 7 or more years of Quality experience including the use of Statistical Process Control, structured problem-solving tools and implementing Quality Systems (similar to ISO9001, ISO13485 or AS9100).
- 3 or more years of working with semiconductor, aerospace, or medical device industries.
- 3 or more years of experience in a senior managerial role.
- Successful track record in implementing or upgrading of Quality Management System
- Successful direct customer experience developing plans and implementing actions that increased quality metrics and customer satisfaction.
- Lean Six Sigma champion with demonstrated proficiency with quality tools and reliability engineering, technology development and supplier quality. Expert working knowledge of DMAIC / Six Sigma problem solving process, certified Six Sigma Black Belt preferred
- Expertise in global development and manufacturing employing 0-ppm methodologies in Design, Technology, Qualification, Production
- Strong Quality Auditing principles and training as an internal auditor
- Experience in New Product Development and Introduction
- ASQ Certified Quality Manager preferred.
- Strong track record in leading/building high performing teams within mid-size and large organizations
Education: BSME, BSEE, BSIE, or the equivalent Degree from an accredited college. Advanced degree is preferred.
Critical Competencies for Success
· Change Catalyst - Dynamic and hands-on, Continuous improvement champion. Action oriented manager and a strategic thinker that possesses a great positive can-do attitude and willing to challenge the status quo.
· Customer-Focused - leader capable of developing thorough understanding of the products as well as their application by the customer to drive meaningful improvement in our performance
· Drive for Results - Demonstrated strength in developing and implementing strategic corporate plans that increase quality metrics and customer satisfaction. Capable of developing/driving broader strategic-level programs as well as tactical initiatives to improve out-of-box quality, field reliability, product availability and on-time delivery
· Constructive Team Leader – The ideal candidate leads by example and makes those around him/her better. Attributes include being inclusive, hands-on, strategic, articulate, energetic, accountable, decisive, and hard working. A positive motivator who encourages and persuades, and an excellent team builder who knows how to attract, train, manage and retain a world class team.
· Excellent Communication Skills – Maintains an open flow of two-way communication, exhibiting strong verbal, written and presentation skills, stating expectations clearly and being visible to all stakeholders. Exhibits executive presence in front of both internal and external audiences.
· Impeccable Integrity – Embodies and practices unquestioned personal and business integrity. Recognized as a highly credible business leader. Creates an environment of trust by acting with fairness and consistency, keeping commitments, and providing rationale for decisions.
· Open Minded – A resilient and committed executive with a flexible and open operating style; non-political and non-bureaucratic; someone with a natural and effective consultative approach who will gain the trust and respect of individuals at all levels.
Brooks Instrument (www.brooksinstrument.com) is an industry leader in flow measurement and flow control products for critical applications. The company is headquartered in Hatfield, PA with manufacturing locations in Pennsylvania, Hungary, Korea and Japan. The Company maintains sales and service offices throughout the world, and its products are used in laboratory and process applications in end markets such as: life sciences, chemicals, semiconductor, analytical instruments, nuclear, food & beverage, and solar cells. The comprehensive Brooks product line includes a wide range of integrated technologies and models to solve most precision flow measurement and control challenges. These include, thermal mass flow, variable area (VA), pressure & vacuum, coriolis mass flow, and positive displacement devices to measure, regulate, and control gas and liquid flow in a variety of laboratory and process applications. These products are frequently mission critical and are often configured to address specific technical requirements of end-use applications. A range of accessories such as gas flow calibrators, pressure controllers, valves, and secondary instrumentation is also offered. Brooks has a venerable brand driven by consistently delivering products that are unsurpassed for reliability, repeatability, accuracy, and performance.
Established in 1946, Brooks was acquired by Emerson Electric in 1964. The company developed well over the years and established dominant market share in variable area flow meters and thermal mass flow controllers as well as unique capabilities in alternate instrumentation technology. The business delivered steady and profitable growth. Strong end market growth and new demand in emerging markets such as China, Eastern Europe, Latin America, and Asia drove double digit growth at Brooks in many years. Believing there was value to be unlocked, American Industrial Partners, a private equity firm, acquired Brooks from Emerson on December 31, 2007. The company charted a going forward operating agenda focused on new product development, service and cost leadership, emerging market penetration, and synergistic acquisitions. In April of 2009, Brooks acquired Key Instrument, a VA flow meter manufacturer specializing in adjacent market space. In June of 2009, Brooks acquired the instrumentation segment of Celerity, immediately establishing a dominant market presence in the semiconductor market.
Brooks experienced strong growth in the semiconductor market, stressing their ability to fulfill demand. Further, the acquired Celerity business originated from a number of business combinations resulting in a broad current and legacy product portfolio making it inherently cumbersome. To overcome this history, Brooks has launched a new generation of products that is enabling successful obsolescence of these legacy products. The recent history of growth requires a retooling of the sales framework to one that is more customer focused, scalable, and motivating to exceptional talent. In 2013, Brooks acquired Westphal, establishing a direct sales distribution channel in Germany and surrounding countries.
In 2011, in recognition of the fact that the primary value creation objectives had been met, American Industrial Partners made the decision to sell the Brooks Instrument business. Ultimately, the Brooks business was sold to ITW (Illinois Tool Works) on January 3, 2012. ITW is a fortune 200 company that was founded over 100 years ago. ITW is one of the world’s leading diversified manufacturers of specialized industrial equipment, consumables, and related service businesses. ITW businesses serve local customers and markets around the globe, with a significant presence in developed as well as emerging markets. The company has operations in 56 countries that employ approximately 51,000 employees. These talented individuals, many of whom have specialized engineering or scientific expertise, contribute to ITW’s global leadership in innovation. The company is proud of its broad portfolio of nearly 10,000 active patents. ITW is on an aggressive growth trajectory that includes a strategy of not only growing organically, but through acquisition.
Our employees enjoy competitive, merit-based salary plus excellent benefits including:
• Health and dental insurance
• Company Paid Life Insurance / Short and Long Term Disability
• 401K plan with generous company match
• Vacation, personal days and holidays
• Continuing education reimbursement program
• Flexible spending accounts
The opportunity to join a well established (68 + years in business) yet dynamically changing organization that works together as a team to meet the challenges of satisfying customers’ needs and managing rapid growth to better compete in a global marketplace.
Brooks Instrument is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Want personalized job recommendations based on your interests?
Sign up for alerts to get started!
At ITW, we value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this online application system process due to your disability, please email email@example.com to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.