Senior Mechanical EngineerApply Job ID REF2443G Date posted 05/07/2021 Address 50 Beechtree Boulevard, Greenville, SC Job Type Full-time Job Status Exempt
ITW Hartness is a world class secondary packaging equipment manufacturer headquartered in the beautiful suburbs of Greenville, SC. Founded on the premise of cutting-edge innovation and a relentless commitment to our customers, ITW Hartness’ world class equipment is designed to our customers’ goals of continuous improvement throughout the production process. ITW Hartness is proud to be a Division of Illinois Tool Works (ITW).
Since ITW’s founding more than 100 years ago, ITW has become one of the world’s leading diversified manufacturers of specialized industrial equipment, consumables and related service businesses. ITW businesses serve local customers and markets around the globe, with a significant presence in developed as well as emerging markets. The company has operations in 56 countries that employ more than 50,000 women and men who adhere to the highest ethical standards. ITW has 81 businesses divided into 7 Segments, which includes: Welding, Automotive OEM, Food Equipment Group, Construction Products, Polymers & Fluids, Test and Measurement & Electronics, and Specialty.
Take this opportunity to join a successful and enthusiastic global team where you can make a significant impact immediately. You will enjoy a competitive salary and generous benefits that includes health, dental, life and LTD insurance, 401k (with match), and a 100% tuition reimbursement program for those who qualify.
As a key member of the Mechanical Engineering team, the Senior Mechanical Design Engineer reports to the Engineering Manager and is responsible for analyzing, designing, maintaining, improving, and releasing world class machinery. Collaborating with other team-members, the Senior Mechanical Design Engineer will implement our equipment and design standards in line with customer specifications and the ITW 80/20 philosophy. The engineer will be responsible for coordinating with our customers and project managers to ensure accurate machine releases and support aftermarket equipment as required. The Senior Mechanical Design Engineer will lead and execute design projects in coordination with peers.
The position will be based at our headquarters in Greenville, South Carolina.
- Autonomously lead critical design projects in coordination with the greater department.
- Create solutions by performing/leading complex tasks relating to the design, testing, and evaluation of mechanical and electro-mechanical devices or systems.
- Lead mechanical engineering studies, the preparation of product specifications, and development of cost estimates.
- Support the development of new machine models by interfacing with customer, assembly, purchasing and service to drive continuous improvement.
- Perform more intricate product development activities including CAD layout, specification interpretation, complex design creation, design analysis, and product line standardization.
- Partner with peers, operations, service, and customers to drive problem diagnosis, root cause analysis, cost-effectiveness evaluation, efficiency and reliability.
- Leverage experience, knowledge, and customer/market observations/feedback to drive consistency across product line design activities and processes to improve efficiency, quality & cost while adhering to organization and industry standards.
- Lead ITW 80/20 business process initiatives and draw conclusions using critical information from available data.
- Lead and mentor others in the ITW 80/20 business process initiatives to drive a continuous improvement mindset within the team.
- Demonstrate proficiency in creating and maintaining accurate bills of material while effectively managing change control in the ERP system.
- Provide work leadership and training to lower level professional and technical staff.
- Share knowledge of key software (design creation/publishing/storage) with less-experienced personnel.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Team player with positive attitude who is willing and able to learn from and collaborate with others while teaching and mentoring less experienced team-members.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Minimum 20 years of related experience within Engineering.
- Minimum 15 years of experience in design engineering working within a cross functional engineering team in the fields of machine design, conveyor or material handling equipment design, and/or robotic system design.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and solve real-world engineering design problems in a work environment via hand-calculations and/or software (FEA, CFD, 1D Fluid Flow, Structural, etc.).
- Excellent understanding of mechanical design utilizing 3D CAD software.
- Ability to lead complex design projects with minimal supervision and deliver results through cross-collaboration within a team environment.
- Advanced understanding of Mechanical and Mechatronic system designs and Mechanical components utilized in automated packaging systems.
- Ability to develop a range of technical solutions autonomously and in partnership with internal functions and external bodies (interfacing teams, suppliers, customers, etc.).
- Proficient in creating highly technical mechanical designs and drawings utilizing 3D CAD software.
- Experience developing products and generating (or overseeing the generation of) manufacturing/assembly models, drawings, bills of material, and/or instructions.
- Strong ability to define a problem, determine root cause, develop corrective action plan, and drive resolution.
- Ability to clearly present technical information in and to lead project/team meetings.
- Ability to develop talent through coaching and mentoring to motivate others to excel.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and drive sustainable results through continuous improvement and ITW Toolbox (or equivalent) initiatives.
- Excellent time management, organizational, interpersonal and written communication, prioritization, and project management skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Willing to travel when necessary.
- Hands-on experience with products and/or equipment
- 3D modeling software experience: Solidworks
- 2D modeling software experience: AutoCAD
- Analysis software experience: Ansys, Solidworks Simulation, Solidworks Flow, STAAD, Power BI/Tableau.
- Experience performing statistical analysis and/or interpreting statistical analysis results and using those results to drive decisions.
- Advanced degree in Mechanical Engineering
ITW is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Want personalized job recommendations based on your interests?
Sign up for alerts to get started!
At ITW, we value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this online application system process due to your disability, please email email@example.com to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.