Senior Mechanical Engineer - R&DApply Job ID REF3524T Date posted 09/10/2021 Address 50 Beechtree Boulevard, Greenville, SC Job Type Full-time Job Status Exempt
ITW Hartness is a world class secondary packaging equipment manufacturer headquartered in the beautiful suburbs of Greenville, SC. Founded on the premise of cutting-edge innovation and a relentless commitment to our customers, ITW Hartness’ world class equipment is designed to our customers’ goals of continuous improvement throughout the production process.
You will enjoy a competitive salary and generous benefits that includes health, dental, life and LTD insurance, 401k (with match), and other great benefit programs. ITW Hartness is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
ITW Hartness is a division of Illinois Tool Works Inc. (ITW), a Fortune 200 global multi-industrial manufacturing leader with revenues totaling $14.8 billion in 2018. The company’s seven industry-leading segments leverage the unique ITW Business Model to drive solid growth with best-in-class margins and returns in markets where highly innovative, customer-focused solutions are required. ITW has more than 50,000 dedicated colleagues in operations around the world (57 countries) who thrive in the company’s unique, decentralized and entrepreneurial culture. To learn more about ITW, visit www.itw.com.
As a key member of the R&D Mechanical Engineering team, the Senior Mechanical Engineer R&D reports to the R&D Engineering Manager and is responsible for analyzing, designing, maintaining, improving, and releasing world class machinery. Collaborating with other team-members, the Senior Mechanical Engineer R&D will implement our equipment and design standards in line with customer specifications and the ITW 80/20 philosophy. The engineer will be responsible for coordinating with our customers and project managers to ensure accurate machine releases and support aftermarket equipment as required. The Senior Mechanical Engineer R&D will lead and execute design projects in coordination with peers.
The position will be based at our headquarters in Greenville, South Carolina.
- Autonomously lead critical design projects in coordination with the greater department.
- Create solutions by performing/leading complex tasks relating to the design, testing, and evaluation of mechanical and electro-mechanical devices or systems.
- Lead mechanical engineering studies, the preparation of product specifications, and development of cost estimates.
- Lead the development of new machine models using the CBI (Customer Backed Innovation) process. Interfacing with customer, marketing, manufacturing, assembly, purchasing and service to drive continuous improvement.
- Perform more intricate product development activities including CAD layout, specification interpretation, complex design creation, design analysis, and product line standardization.
- Partner with peers, operations, service, and customers to drive problem diagnosis, root cause analysis, cost-effectiveness evaluation, efficiency, and reliability.
- Leverage experience, knowledge, and customer/market observations/feedback to drive consistency across product line design activities and processes to improve efficiency, quality & cost while adhering to organization and industry standards.
- Lead ITW 80/20 business process initiatives and draw conclusions using critical information from available data.
- Lead and mentor others in the ITW 80/20 business process initiatives to drive a continuous improvement mindset within the team.
- Demonstrate proficiency in creating and maintaining accurate bills of material while effectively managing change control in the ERP system.
- Provide work leadership and training to lower level professional and technical staff.
- Share knowledge of key software (design creation/publishing/storage) with less-experienced personnel.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering and 8 years of related experience or a minimum of 12 years of related exp in lieu of degree
- Proficiency in creating highly technical mechanical designs and drawings utilizing 3D CAD software.
- Advanced understanding of Mechanical and Mechatronic system designs and Mechanical components utilized in automated packaging systems.
- Demonstrates attitude in influencing and leading teams and work collaboratively cross-functionally while consistently delivering on individual objectives.
- Strong ability to define a problem, determine root cause, and develop corrective action plan.
- Develops a range of technical solutions autonomously and in partnership with internal functions and external bodies (i.e. suppliers, vendors, and customers).
- Ability to clearly present technical information in and to lead project/team meetings
- Ability to develop talent through coaching and mentoring to motivate others to excel.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and drive sustainable results through continuous improvement and ITW Toolbox initiatives.
- Effectively applies the ITW Toolbox and project management best practices in all activities.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Excellent time management, organization, and prioritization skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Willing to travel when necessary.
- 10 years of experience in design engineering working within a cross functional engineering team in the fields of machine design, automation, conveyor, packaging equipment design, and/or robotic system design.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and solve real-world engineering design problems in a work environment via hand-calculations and/or software (FEA, CFD, 1D Fluid Flow, Structural, etc.).
- Experience developing products and generating (or overseeing the generation of) manufacturing/assembly models, drawings, bills of material, and/or instructions.
- Proficient in creating highly technical mechanical designs and drawings utilizing 2D & 3D CAD software.
- Analysis software experience: Ansys, Emulate 3D, Solidworks Simulation, Solidworks Flow, STAAD, Power BI/Tableau.
- Experience performing statistical analysis and/or interpreting statistical analysis results and using those results to drive decisions.
- Advanced degree in Mechanical Engineering
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Want personalized job recommendations based on your interests?
Sign up for alerts to get started!
At ITW, we value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this online application system process due to your disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.