Senior Manager- Application EngineeringApply Job ID REF2024B Date posted 03/26/2021 Address 50 Beechtree Boulevard, Greenville, SC Job Type Full-time Job Status Exempt
ITW Hartness is a world class secondary packaging equipment manufacturer headquartered in the beautiful suburbs of Greenville, SC. Founded on the premise of cutting-edge innovation and a relentless commitment to our customers, ITW Hartness’ world class equipment is designed to our customers’ goals of continuous improvement throughout the production process. ITW Hartness is proud to be a Division of Illinois Tool Works (ITW).
Since ITW’s founding more than 100 years ago, ITW has become one of the world’s leading diversified manufacturers of specialized industrial equipment, consumables and related service businesses. ITW businesses serve local customers and markets around the globe, with a significant presence in developed as well as emerging markets. The company has operations in 56 countries that employ more than 50,000 women and men who adhere to the highest ethical standards. ITW has 81 businesses divided into 7 Segments, which includes: Welding, Automotive OEM, Food Equipment Group, Construction Products, Polymers & Fluids, Test and Measurement & Electronics, and Specialty.
Take this opportunity to join a successful and enthusiastic global team where you can make a significant impact immediately. You will enjoy a competitive salary and generous benefits that includes health, dental, life and LTD insurance, 401k (with match), and a 100% tuition reimbursement program for those who qualify.
As a key member of the Engineering leadership team, the Senior Manager of Application Engineering will report directly to the Director of Engineering and will be responsible for managing the Application Engineering organization, which delivers customer-focused solutions including ITW Hartness equipment and Systems Integration (turn-key packaging line) solutions. Primary responsibilities include leading the Application Engineering organization to drive the development of industry-leading machine applications, systems layouts, and associated proposals. The Application Engineering team is the primary interface between Design Engineering and Sales, ensuring the implementation of standard machine strategies and line layouts that meet customers’ needs. Applications range from single machines to highly complex multimillion-dollar turn-key solutions. The ideal candidate will have in-depth packaging experience in the Food & Beverage industry, as well as demonstrated team-management effectiveness, including partnering with adjacent organizations to achieve business goals.
This position will be based at our headquarters in Greenville, South Carolina.
- Structure and lead the Application Engineering organization to optimize applied resources and ensure the on-time generation of proposals in coordination with Sales
- Establish and drive best-in-class harmonized Application Engineering skills and discipline
- Drive innovative solutions to differentiate ITW Hartness offerings in cooperation with Design Engineering and Commercial teams
- Autonomously lead and review Systems Integration designs and proposals, providing appropriate guidance to ensure high-quality, optimized, robust, customer-focused packaging equipment and system designs solutions
- Align offerings with customer contractual requirements and international and domestic codes and standards
- Partner with Commercial teams to provide expert technical support and a joint understanding of market trends and opportunities to differentiate our product offerings
- Coordinate with Project Management to ensure project budgets are appropriately structured to facilitate on-time and on-budget project execution
- Coordinate and lead shared-risk discussions to facilitate the alignment of customer needs with Engineering and Manufacturing capacities
- Proactively manage and communicate key outgoing project proposals, including full accountability to key financial and on-time delivery metrics
- Effectively manage and communicate change during dynamic project proposal-generation, including mitigating risks and influencing key stakeholders
- Ensure proposals are structured to maximize both customer value and business financial targets to drive increases in profitability
- Drive continual increases in the application of standard equipment and line designs
- Lead and develop talent to maximize individual, team and organizational effectiveness
- Foster a culture of engagement, accountability, cascading vision, and goal alignment
- Use effective interpersonal skills and techniques to gain acceptance of ideas and plans
- Coach through feedback, development planning, and performance management
- Provide work leadership and training to less experienced professional and technical staff
- Champion the effective use of change management principles, strategies, and techniques to evaluate, plan, and implement change where required
- Build a strong pipeline of talent to ensure a diverse and high-performing organization
- Lead and mentor others in ITW 80/20 business process initiatives to drive a continuous improvement mindset
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree
- 10+ years of progressive Engineering experience, with a minimum of 5 years in a leadership role
- Industry experience with packaging line-design, development, installation, and operation
- Manufacturing experience in food, beverage, and/or personal and household care
- Demonstrated success involving complex large-capital projects
- Ability to utilize and manipulate CAD drawings during live customer presentations
- Demonstrated ability to distil complex technical and procedural problems into a problem statement, gather data to draw conclusions, and develop appropriate plans to address.
- Demonstrated capability to clearly present complex technical and financial information to teams, customers, and leadership
- Proven knowledge of general accounting practices to accurately generate and manage detailed financial outlooks and budgets
- Demonstrated ability to develop talent through coaching and mentoring to motivate others to excel
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage demand/capacity projections
- Willing to travel as necessary
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
- MBA and/or Advanced degree
- Certified Project Management Professional (PMP)
- 1-over-1 management experience (i.e. leading managers and large teams)
- Experience with capital equipment project execution, including project financial management
- Formal training on GAAP accounting practices and revenue recognition practices
- Demonstrated ability to support development and management of machine standards to meet company objectives for reduced lead-time and overall machine standardization.
ITW is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Want personalized job recommendations based on your interests?
Sign up for alerts to get started!
At ITW, we value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this online application system process due to your disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.