R&D Engineer ManagerApply Job ID REF1273G Date posted 04/05/2021 Address 1000 North Armstrong Drive, Fairmont, MN Job Type Full-time Job Status Exempt
Avery Weigh-Tronix is one of the world’s largest manufacturers and suppliers of weighing equipment and solutions. With wholly owned businesses in nine countries, and partners in more than 70 others, we are truly a global player with a range and expertise that is second to none.
With its North American headquarters, R&D and manufacturing base in Minnesota, Avery Weigh-Tronix has a presence across the whole of the United States. Our established network of distributors and dealers undergo extensive product training to provide you with a trustworthy and knowledgeable source for all of your weighing requirements.
Manages a small team of professional engineers to manage projects related to company product or processes, including budgeting, cost estimation, developing project timelines and goals, evaluating prototypes against requirements and transitioning projects to manufacturing (for production equipment or consumables) or seeing through completion on customer site (for customized equipment or consumables).
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the department with regards to work classified as arising based off the criteria set for the department.
- Manage the department with regards the skill set for the given engineering discipline(s) required.
- Assist with the creation and forecasting of budgets, project schedules, training plans, succession planning, and department policies.
- Document designs and changes in a comprehensive manner, using those engineering analysis methods / techniques held within Software Engineering degree and related experience and training.
- Provide application information and Engineering support to manufacturing, inside sales, distribution, and customers for existing and special product.
- Implement expansions to standard product lines when repeated sales indicate a need.
- Implement Engineering Change Orders (ECOs) for product that may arise from feature enhancement needs, suggested cost savings, new releases, manufacturing problems, field problems or failures, or supplier changes/updates. Must be able to signoff for these changes and make stock disposition recommendations.
- Make determinations as to test and analysis requirements for the proving of product reliability and parameter control. Implement and/or call for tests to determine failure limits, environmental susceptibility, component reliability, and overall safety and soundness of each design. On occasion, may need to participate in the design of product test and production test equipment.
- Drive the electrical/software design process through creative concept clearance, design detail, mathematical and scientific verification, prototype build, test and results interpretation, engineering documentation, and manufacturing release.
- Create the priorities and tasks for interdisciplinary teams on project efforts, communicating technical detail and oversight effectively.
Knowledge Skills/Education Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Computer or Software Engineering or related field, is preferred
- 5-10 years of design experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- 3-5 years of experience in a manufacturing facility, experience in the weighing industry is a plus
- 3-5 years of managing personnel
- Experience with Visual Studio, Embedded Software Design and Altium Designer
- CAD Management Skills
- Electrical Engineering understanding/knowledge
- Ability to travel domestically, 15% of the time, and infrequent international travel
It is the policy of Avery Weigh-Tronix to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Avery Weigh-Tronix will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Want personalized job recommendations based on your interests?
Sign up for alerts to get started!
At ITW, we value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this online application system process due to your disability, please email email@example.com to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.