Heavy Capacity Production ManagerApply Now Submit a Referral Job ID REF10021O Date posted 04/12/2023 Address 1000 North Armstrong Drive, Fairmont, MN Job Type Full-time Job Status Exempt
Avery Weigh-Tronix (AWT) is among the world’s largest manufacturers and suppliers of weighing equipment with company facilities in 9 countries, and partners in over 70 others. With its North American headquarters, R&D and manufacturing base in Minnesota, AWT has an impressive set of products, activities and skills in its Fairmont facility including truck scales. Forklift scales, pharmacy counters, ag scale components, dynamometers, retail/postal scales, load cells, instrumentation and much more.
AWT is a leading employer in the area, with people traveling from many communities in southern MN and northern IA. Employees work at AWT much longer than other employers due to its attractive combination of very stable employment, consistent schedule, flexible paid time off, medical, dental & vision, retirement contributions, comfortable indoor work environment with purpose designed workstations, safety focused culture, and opportunities for advancement or work other functions, including development of trade skills such as welding & machining.
Objective of Role:
The Heavy Capacity Production Manager provides direction and training for the manufacturing activities of the production floor with the objective of improving processes and developing team members in alignment with Company’s core values. This position requires a strong lean manufacturing background and a ‘hands on’ approach to leading teams, improving processes, and overseeing the day-to-day activities of the manufacturing areas.
The Heavy Capacity Production Manager is responsible for all the heavy capacity operations throughout the production facility and will direct the activities of the production departments to maximize productivity and minimize cost while maintaining quality. They will work in conjunction with the supply chain, quality, engineering, maintenance, and customer service departments to ensure on time delivery metrics are met.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate and promote a pro-active safety culture and be accountable for PPE adherence and all safety practices in handbook to keep the organization accident-free.
- Promote, support, and adhere to all safety, environmental and quality related policies and procedures.
- Ensure equipment is maintained and operated safely and correctly, minimizing down time and job-related injury.
- Drives accountability to standard procedures, work instructions, and validation plans.
- Optimizes production processes to ensure consistent results and eliminate personnel variability.
- Ensures ISO procedure compliance.
- Partner and collaborate with the various groups and/or departments to develop and implement plans for the improvement of systems and quality of product.
- Maintain production line schedules and manage inventories against targets.
- Works collaboratively with leaders to implement policies and achieve goals.
- Continuously reviews staffing needs and makes recommendations to upper management on changes.
Continuous Improvement & Cost
- Supports improvements in production materials, processes, and other cost savings opportunities.
- Drive process improvement initiatives and manage KPI’s that focus on safety, quality, delivery, and cost.
- Create and manage reports/data to ensure delivery of KPI’s and to drive effective corrective actions.
- Works with Strategic Sourcing and purchasing group to identify savings with material procurement.
- Works relentlessly to identify and eliminate waste from our processes.
- Works with maintenance department to identify and execute preventative maintenance tasks.
- Initiate and drive continuous improvement initiatives by leveraging the ITW Toolbox techniques.
- Introduce manufacturing best practices to improve efficiency, productivity, and communication to all production personnel.
- Exercise the usual authority of a manager in relation to hiring, coaching, counseling, training, mentoring, conducting performance evaluations, promotions, etc. of the staff.
- Develop team members and establish a culture based on teamwork, mutual trust, and continuous improvement.
- Support workers as questions, concerns, or feedback arises
- Able to achieve outstanding results through collaboration and effective communication across all departments and with upper management.
- Demonstrate how to positively influence change and role model integrity and values.
- Creates and coordinates ongoing operations training and certification plans.
- Establishes and executes strong day/month/year goal setting and communication throughout teams.
- Conducts annual reviews of team performance and enforces company policy through delivery of corrective actions (if needed).
- Provide clear leadership for production employees assigning roles, tasks, and accountability.
- Follows the 80/20 philosophy in prioritizing daily tasks and serves as a contributing member of the Operations Staff.
- Foster, communicate and exemplify the values of ITW; act with integrity and trust, operate with simplicity, treat everyone with respect, take shared risk.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or 3 to 5 years of relevant work experience
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Products to include Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Pivot, and Power Point
- Ability to adapt to changing circumstances while remaining calm in stressful situations
- Ability to lead, develop and communicate effectively.
- Experience in heavy equipment building or manufacturing.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Proven record in training employees about safety and production.
- Ability to coach and motivate employees.
- Knowledge of Lean and/or Six Sigma principles.
- Knowledge of managing a production floor and schedules.
- Ability to resolve complex issues in a creative and effective way with a focus on continuous improvement techniques utilizing the ITW Business Model
- Must be able to lead personnel to obtain the required standards, set by the system.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and multiple projects
- Ability work across departments to resolve issues
- Technical aptitude to understand product assembly, test, and repair processes.
- Understand and implement cost vs. benefit analysis and product standardization concepts
It is the policy of Avery Weigh-Tronix to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Avery Weigh-Tronix will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
ITW is an equal opportunity employer. We value our colleagues’ unique perspectives, experiences and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
As an equal employment opportunity employer, ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Submit a Referral
Want personalized job recommendations based on your interests?
Sign up for alerts to get started!
At ITW, we value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Read more information here.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this online application system process due to your disability, please email email@example.com to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.