Software Engineer – Embedded & User InterfaceApply Job ID REF3686B Date posted 09/16/2021 Address 3600 North Point Boulevard, Dundalk, MD Job Type Full-time Job Status Exempt
For more than 150 years, Vulcan has been recognized by chefs and operators throughout the world for its top-quality, energy efficient commercial cooking equipment. Our equipment is found in busy kitchens nationwide; target segments include large chain restaurants, emerging/regional chains, independent restaurants, K-12 schools, grocery and hotels/recreation.
Vulcan is a division of Illinois Tool Works (ITW), a Fortune 200 global multi-industrial manufacturing leader with revenues totaling $14.1 billion in 2019.
Vulcan is looking for a highly motivated Software Engineer to be responsible for the specification and implementation of our next generation cooking solutions focused on new technologies and methods. Primary position responsibilities include interfacing with internal and external customers to define software UI and embedded feature requirements, creation of the UI and embedded software architecture, providing oversight and technical leadership to 3rd party resources tasked with the implementation, test, and validation of product software.
Position Location: Vulcan Division HQ, Baltimore, MD
- Translation of customer/ culinary needs into new software features and capabilities.
- Discovery and documentation of User Interface and embedded product software requirements.
- Support development of IOT connectivity solutions for cooking equipment
- Development of the software architecture to be used as a global cooking platform.
- Working with the hardware and Firmware team to assist in the specification of hardware requirements and hardware/software interfaces.
- Provide a single point of contact for third-party design, implementation, and verification of product software.
- Software components include Linux OS, Open-Source licensing, hardware device drivers, product functions (cooking parameter sensing and control as well as recipe management), diagnostics, User Interface, networking (Ethernet, Wi-Fi), and embedded Web Browser.
- Drive and endorse best practices in code health, testing, and maintainability.
- The position requires periodic travel within the US and Europe.
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer or Software Engineering with at least 5 years of experience in development of embedded products and user interfaces, preferably in the food equipment space.
Extensive knowledge of software requirements development, software architectures, and embedded software development.
Experience with manual and automated software test and validation tools and methods.
Knowledgeable in user interface design and development.
Minimum of 2-years’ experience and a demonstrated success in working with third-party software development organizations
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND TRAITS:
- Working with 3rd party software development resources with deep technical knowledge.
- Experience using version tools (GIT)
- Software feature and performance evaluation leading to product differentiation.
- Intellectually curious and has a driving interest product excellence.
- Software validation and testing experience with tools like Squish, etc.
- Software user interface design
- Embedded software design and development
- Ability to work effectively in a small team environment and with third parties.
- Ability to articulate to a broad range of constituents via written and verbal communication.
- Attention to detail.
- Reducing Complexity
- Writing documentation
- Writing specifications
- Office enviroments and some factory floor exposure
- This position will be based out of the Vulcan facility in Baltimore MD
- Travel required = 20%
Want personalized job recommendations based on your interests?
Sign up for alerts to get started!
At ITW, we value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this online application system process due to your disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.