Design Engineer 2Apply Job ID REF1744T Date posted 02/20/2021 Address 3600 North Point Boulevard, Dundalk, MD Job Type Full-time Job Status Exempt
For more than 150 years, Vulcan has been recognized by chefs and operators throughout the world for its top-quality, energy efficient commercial cooking equipment. Our equipment is found in busy kitchens nationwide; target segments include large chain restaurants, emerging/regional chains, independent restaurants, K-12 schools, grocery and hotels/recreation.
Vulcan is a division of Illinois Tool Works (ITW), a Fortune 200 global multi-industrial manufacturing leader with revenues totaling $14.1 billion in 2019.
To conceive, design, develop, and maintain products to achieve business unit and corporate goals.
Support and/or complete medium to high level, complex engineering tasks/projects as assigned to meet business objectives and product lines for the food service industry.
BS in Engineering required (BSME preferred).
5+ years engineering experience related to product design and development in a manufacturing environment.
- Bi-lingual Fluent in Mandarin Chinese and English REQUIRED
- Adaptable, innovative, problem solving skills, sense of urgency, drive for continuous improvement.
- Ability to own a product line.
- Ability to manage and logically prioritize multiple tasks.
- 3D modeling using SolidWorks (Sheet Metal Experience preferred).
- Effective oral/written communication, listening skills, attention to detail.
- Capable of working through an engineering problem independently. Project focus:
o Ability to plan.
o Ability to clearly present design options.
o Ability to evaluate cost, schedule, and technical variables.
· Applicable computer skills using Microsoft Suite.
· Organizational and interpersonal skills.
· Knowledge of various manufacturing processes: machining, metal forming,
· Adherence to standards, policies, and practices including safety and regulatory
· Scientific approach, diligence in data gathering.
· Basic shop skills, experience, ability to prototype.
· Product design and design improvements of cooking equipment including: concept development, design validation, agency approval, print release, manufacturing evaluation, and product launch within a specified project timeline.
· Clearly document and communicate improvements thru Product Change Notices.
· Support and lead opportunities for product line simplification, in-lining, and growth.
· Work closely with Tech Service and Operations to resolve warranty or vendor quality issues.
· Proof of concept and proof of application in a test lab environment.
· Participate in cost reduction projects and track annual cost reduction progress to established corporate goals.
· Issue and support engineering documentation including bill of materials, drawings, work instructions, quality alerts, customer manuals, wiring diagrams, and spec sheets
· Support sales, service, and marketing to resolve customer issues.
· Interact directly with customers, including technical support calls and field site visits.
· Learn and master applicable codes and standards including UL, ANSI, CSA, and NSF.
· Demonstrated record of resourcefulness, creativity, and innovation.
· Working knowledge of thermodynamic concepts.
· Experience with value engineering, cost/benefit analysis, cost improvement.
Familiarity with FMEA, CFD, electrical wiring experience
OTHER REQUIREMENTS / WORKING CONDITIONS
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/ WORKING CONDITIONS: Office & R&D Laboratory Environment
· Travel up to 25%
· Hands on testing and/or trouble shooting
· Lifting up to 50 lbs
· Legally authorized to work in the United States.
· You will work in a team-oriented office and lab environment.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Want personalized job recommendations based on your interests?
Sign up for alerts to get started!
At ITW, we value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this online application system process due to your disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.