R&D Technical ManagerApply Job ID REF1158L Date posted 04/05/2021 Address 500 State Street, Chicago Heights, IL Job Type Full-time Job Status Exempt
ITW (NYSE: ITW) is a Fortune 200 global multi-industrial manufacturing leader with revenues totaling $14.1 billion in 2019. The company’s seven industry-leading segments leverage the unique ITW Business Model to drive solid growth with best-in-class margins and returns in markets where highly innovative, customer-focused solutions are required. ITW’s approximately 45,000 dedicated colleagues around the world thrive in the company’s decentralized and entrepreneurial culture. www.itw.com.
ITW Specialty Films designs, manufactures and markets specialized coated and/or metalized films for the Card, Security, and Medical markets. The division leverages unique core competencies and technologies in films, foils, laminates, holography, and transfers to address customer needs globally. Operates in 5 locations (NA & EU).
The R&D Technical Manager is a key leadership role within the division responsible for leading teams to Research Technology and to Develop Solutions while leveraging the division’s Stage Gate Process. The R&D Technical Manager is the Innovation Leader for the division who ensures R&D efforts and resources align with the division’s 80 business growth strategies and Customer Back Innovation (CBI). This role works closely with Strategic Marketing to gain solid understanding of market and customer needs as well as Operations to ensure alignment with smooth product development transition to commercialization.
The R&D Technical Manager must be capable of demonstrating leadership to drive solutions for:
- New product chemistries and constructions
- New process technology optimized for New Product Development (NPD) or in support of Continuous Improvement
- Strategically Positioning the Business through Research of Future Technology and Chemistry
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Managers and Leads Stage Gate Process
- Provide technical expertise, direction and support to his/her team
- Collaborate with Strategic Marketing on Stage Gate Process and pipeline development/prioritization
- Acquire solid understanding of the market and customers' needs and ensures the R&D team and development efforts are aligned with the division's strategies and CBI programs
- Sets clear product development plans and for delivering projects on time and on budget, within the division's Stage Gate process, ensuring key steps are completed
- Manage and coordinate multiple projects from concept to commercialization
- Utilize expertise to strategically evaluate technical feasibility and offer guidance on solutions
- Participate in Discovery, concept design and validation identified from CBI
- Researches Technologies, Materials and Formulations
- Design and utilize pilot plant to enable technical team to improve time to commercialization
- Collaborate with Operations on new technologies to improve margins
- Recommend new concepts/ideas and innovative solutions in conjunction with CBI and technology needs for the Division
- Develops R&D Talent and Team
- Create collaborative atmosphere to share and develop ideas within and across the technical department
- Develop a pipeline of talent for future leaders of the organization and to maximize skills to achieve Full Potential
- Consistently leverage the ITW 80/20 model to set clear priorities for his/her team and hold them accountable for delivering results on '80' objectives
- Effectively coach team through regular and timely feedback, development planning and performance management
- Ensures Compliance
- Ensure all lab equipment and materials are properly maintained and/or stored and fully comply with all safety and regulatory requirements
- Ensure all appropriate R&D documentation (including records, technical data and reports) is maintained to meet ISO and other compliance-related organizations' requirements
- Other essential duties and tasks may be assigned based on business need
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering. Advanced degree in Chemistry or MBA a plus.
- Minimum 8 years relevant coating industry experience with a minimum of 6 years in R&D and/or new product development roles. Experience with polymer chemistry desired and formulating for thin film coating a plus
- Minimum 2 years of supervisory experience is a must including managing, coaching and developing talent
- Experience with analytical equipment (IR, GC, etc.) and test methodologies
- Proven track record of effectively partnering with cross-functional teams (including Strategic Marketing, Operations, and Sourcing) to ensure alignment around new product development projects.
- Ability to generate respect and trust from staff and external stakeholders along with the ability to work collaboratively with staff/colleagues to create a results-driven, team-oriented environment.
- Proven track record of effectively leading teams through complex and multiple R&D/NPD projects using Stage Gate process and delivering projects on time and budget. Excellent time management, prioritization abilities with streamlining/simplification mindset, and strong project management skills.
- Adept at cascading business strategies and translating them into relevant, successful R&D tactical plans
- Ability to think beyond current state/“outside of the box” and bring in new, innovative ideas and to solve problems effectively
- Strong collaborator, solid influencer and team player with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Adept at Microsoft Office suite
ITW offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including competitively priced medical and dental coverage the first of the month following hire, free life insurance, paid vacation and holidays, and immediate 401k matching. Additional retirement savings contribution (above and beyond 401k) is awarded at no cost after one year.
ITW Specialty Films is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access the online application system process due to your disability, please email email@example.com to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.
Want personalized job recommendations based on your interests?
Sign up for alerts to get started!
At ITW, we value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this online application system process due to your disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.