Press OperatorApply Job ID REF2228B Date posted 04/16/2021 Address 500 State Street, Chicago Heights, IL Job Type Full-time Job Status Non-Exempt
ITW (NYSE: ITW) is a Fortune 200 global multi-industrial manufacturing leader with revenues totaling $14.1 billion in 2019. The company’s seven industry-leading segments leverage the unique ITW Business Model to drive solid growth with best-in-class margins and returns in markets where highly innovative, customer-focused solutions are required. ITW’s approximately 45,000 dedicated colleagues around the world thrive in the company’s decentralized and entrepreneurial culture. www.itw.com.
ITW Specialty Films designs, manufactures and markets specialized coated and/or metalized films for the Card, Security, and Medical markets. The division leverages unique core competencies and technologies in films, foils, laminates, holography, and transfers to address customer needs globally. Operates in 5 locations (NA & EU).
Assist Press Operators in all phases of press operation, including lab testing and press set-up. Learn pressroom operations, develop skills to improve operations, reduce scrap, and improve quality and on-time delivery.
- Work in a safe manner, following all safety rules and procedures
- Maintain 5S Standards
- Train and develop skills needed for stand-alone press operations.
- Other duties as assigned.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITITES:
- Assist Press Operator in pulling sheets, making machine adjustments and some QC functions.
- Pull film through press during set up. Assist with registration of film.
- Learn quality testing procedures.
- Qualify production run against color, physical characteristics and weight specifications by testing in lab.
- Pull sample templates from sheets to assist in color matching. Assist in making adds per instruction from color matchers.
- Monitor viscosities of on-line inks.
- Assist Press Operator in troubleshooting product and equipment problems.
- Review shop orders for necessary materials and jobs. Obtain and set up press cylinders.
- Perform change-overs including removal of previous job cylinders from press and store in proper location and drain inks. Check cylinder sizes, load cylinders in press, check ink viscosity, adjust as needed and pour in ink fountain. Load bulk rolls on unwind stand and prepare roll.
- Operate forklift, hoist, and Big Joe to obtain or remove cylinders and materials from the pressroom. Safely obtain solvents from tank farm.
- Ensure that on-line vats/drums are covered and grounded.
- Operate high speed mixer for mixing or adjusting inks based on job specs. Test and adjust viscosity of solvents.
- Perform data entry in shop floor computer system to maintain accurate inventory due to transfer of finished goods and reporting ink and film usage.
- Assist in reducing scrap by monitoring web and identifying defects per Operator instructions.
- Remove and label solvents and solids for disposal per instructions.
- Maintain cleanliness of press area, including washing and cleaning ink pans, splash guards and flow bars, etc.
POSITION SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- High School diploma or GED.
- Ability to push/pull 90-100 lbs. and lift 50 pounds.
- Ability to use Forklift, hoists, and other material handling equipment.
- 1-2 years experience using common hand tools to adjust and troubleshoot machines and tape measures. Some machine operation experience preferred.
- Self-motivated, able to follow directions, and work with minimal supervision. Ability to work flexible shifts.
- Good verbal communication skills to interact with other departments, write business notes, read product specifications, schedules, etc.
- Some computer/keyboard experience preferred to include data entry and lookups.
ITW offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including competitively priced medical and dental coverage the first of the month following hire, free life insurance, paid vacation and holidays, and immediate 401k matching. Additional retirement savings contribution (above and beyond 401k) is awarded at no cost after one year.
ITW Specialty Films is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access the online application system process due to your disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.
Want personalized job recommendations based on your interests?
Sign up for alerts to get started!
At ITW, we value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this online application system process due to your disability, please email email@example.com to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.