Mechanical Design EngineerApply Job ID REF7193R Date posted 07/23/2022 Address 550 Kehoe Boulevard, Carol Stream, IL Job Type Full-time Job Status Exempt
ITW (NYSE: ITW) is a Fortune 200 global multi-industrial manufacturing leader with revenues totaling $14.1 billion in 2019. The company’s seven industry-leading segments leverage the unique ITW Business Model to drive solid growth with best-in-class margins and returns in markets where highly innovative, customer-focused solutions are required. ITW’s approximately 45,000 dedicated colleagues around the world thrive in the company’s decentralized and entrepreneurial culture.
LOMA Systems, an ITW Company, is the world's leading engineering and manufacturing company specializing in metal detection, X-ray inspection, checkweighers, combination systems and more for the pharmaceutical, packaging and food industries - all Designed to Survive®
Just about any product you will have bought in a supermarket has to be checked to ensure it is free from contamination (i.e. metal, glass, stone, plastic) and is to the quality intended. LOMA Systems’ equipment is installed in many food production facilities around the world to protect us as consumers. You will get exposure to an industry you did not even know existed!
The hands-on Mechanical Design Engineer will develop systems and processes to enable the Applied Technology team to continually improve accuracy and efficiency. This position will be responsible for creating accurate, cost effective and technically sound designs for complex machines, that meet the customer’s requirements and industry relevant safety standards.
- Create design specification for custom Metal Detector, Check Weighing, and X-Ray Inspection systems to meet specific application requirements.
- Create Bill of Materials on the manufacturing system as required for customer orders.
- Create system assembly drawings and wiring diagrams per specific written specifications for customer and sales orders.
- Process Engineering Jobs through the design process within a specific time scale by utilizing standard and previous system designs.
- Maintain the existing Engineering systems related to drawing numbers, part numbers, drawing files, etc.
- Develop and maintain a focus during the design process of product improvement and material cost reductions as well as labor time reductions.
- Create individual component detail drawings for suppliers, and work with purchasing to ensure components meet design specifications.
- Provide support for production, purchasing, and other functions within the company as appropriate.
- Establish the necessary lines of communication with suppliers and provide the requested information to these suppliers as necessary.
- Take part in functional engineering action plans as agreed from time to time, and report on the results of these plans as requested.
- Participate in product development projects as appropriate.
- Communicate effectively with counterparts in other Group companies, in particular the UK parent company.
- Advocate ITW 80/20 and other toolbox standards / initiatives into everything we do.
- Operate with a continuous improvement methodology, ensuring the appropriate processes, tools and techniques are developed and adopted
- In addition to the duties listed above, the position holder must carry out tasks assigned by their supervisor that are essentially related to their duties.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar field required.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant design experience required.
- Detailed knowledge and experience in the following areas:
- Electro-mechanical assembly and working practices as well as component manufacturing methods.
- Mechanical design and pneumatic design.
- Project Management.
- Report writing.
- Computer literacy – word processing, spreadsheets, databases, CAD, SolidWorks engineering programs and computerized material systems.
- Demonstrated excellent time management, prioritization abilities and communication skills.
- Hands on approach, with good interpersonal and people skills to get things done.
- Detail oriented with strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of electrical system designs.
- Experience in the design of conveyors and material-handling equipment for the Food and Packaging industries.
- Understand control panel components such as relays, circuit breakers, main isolators, transformers; understand the principals of using various electrical components from power source to the field device; able to read and interpret electrical drawings; understand the difference between single and 3 phase and 230/115/24 volt controls and various types of analogue signals.
- PLC programming experience.
Visa Sponsorship Information: This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access the online application system process due to your disability, please call the Loma Human Resources Dept. at (630) 240-9571 to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.
ITW is an equal opportunity employer. We value our colleagues’ unique perspectives, experiences and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
As an equal employment opportunity employer, ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Want personalized job recommendations based on your interests?
Sign up for alerts to get started!
At ITW, we value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Read more information here.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this online application system process due to your disability, please email email@example.com to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.