Senior Mechanical Engineer - Welding, Accessories and Cutting - AppletonApply Job ID REF8624H Date posted 11/22/2022 Address 5730 Technology Circle, Appleton, WI Job Type Full-time Job Status Exempt
Miller® is about building things that matter. We lead the welding industry in building advanced, solution-focused products and meeting crucial needs for welding safety and health.
We’re about the partnership and the work. Our products are designed with our users for manufacturing, fabrication, construction, aviation, motorsports, education, agriculture and marine applications.
Miller Electric Mfg. LLC, is headquartered in Appleton, Wisconsin, and wholly owned by Illinois Tool Works (NYSE: ITW). The company maintains its industry leadership by setting the standard for reliability, quality and responsiveness. Our tagline, “The Power of Blue®,” is inspired by the blue color of Miller equipment.
The company began with an innovation that responded to customer needs, growing from a one-man operation in 1929, to the world’s largest manufacturer of arc welding products. Miller keeps the tradition alive by focusing on its top priority: people.
Welding Accessories and Cutting is looking for a highly motivated individual for the position of Mechanical Engineer focused on the design, development, and production support of safety, respiratory, fume extraction, education, and cutting equipment. This position will contribute to both design and sustaining activities.
- Direct involvement in all design activities including: CAD design, fabricating, assembling, troubleshooting, reliability and 3rd party compliance testing, documentation, product introduction, and manufacturing support.
- Participate in and support all phases of new product development (Discover, Create, Develop and Deploy).
- Work closely with Product Management and Marketing on project/task feasibility, effort required, and cost to ensure project timelines and objectives are met.
- Design components and assemblies using SolidWorks.
- Work with suppliers throughout the development of the project to ensure material costs and schedule stays on target.
- Manage laboratory technician team, inclusive of project prioritization and tracking, reporting out to the division, and objective setting.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering with a minimum 7 years of relevant experience.
- Must be a self-motivated individual with strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to effectively work individually as well as in a cross functional team environment.
- Proficiency in computer design skills and knowledge in SolidWorks, SolidWorks PDM, SolidWorks Simulation, AutoCAD and Microsoft Office. Knowledge of AutoDesk CFD is a plus.
- Solid understanding of fundamental mechanical engineering principles; statics, dynamics, mechanics of materials, mechanical vibrations, heat transfer, material selection and physics.
- Travel up to 20% of the time may be required.
- Familiarity with ANSI, OSHA, NIOSH specifications
- Fundamental understanding of Geometric Design and Tolerancing
- Sheet metal, thermoplastic, thermoset, die cast, sand cast, machining, and extrusion design knowledge
- Ability to select, analyze and test materials for functionality, durability and cost effectiveness
- Proven track record of innovation, design and margin improvements
- Experience in customer focused innovation
- Tool design knowledge
- Experience with additive manufacturing and prototyping
ITW is an equal opportunity employer. We value our colleagues’ unique perspectives, experiences and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
As an equal employment opportunity employer, ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Want personalized job recommendations based on your interests?
Sign up for alerts to get started!
At ITW, we value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Read more information here.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this online application system process due to your disability, please email email@example.com to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.