Operations Director - Commercial Solutions DivisionApply Job ID REF2462R Date posted 05/08/2021 Address 855 Mayflower Road, Appleton, WI Job Type Full-time Job Status Exempt
Miller® is about building things that matter. We lead the welding industry in building advanced, solution-focused products and meeting crucial needs for welding safety and health.
We’re about the partnership and the work. Our products are designed with our users for manufacturing, fabrication, construction, aviation, motorsports, education, agriculture and marine applications.
Miller Electric Mfg. LLC, is headquartered in Appleton, Wisconsin, and wholly owned by Illinois Tool Works (NYSE: ITW). The company maintains its industry leadership by setting the standard for reliability, quality and responsiveness. Our tagline, “The Power of Blue®,” is inspired by the blue color of Miller equipment.
The company began with an innovation that responded to customer needs, growing from a one-man operation in 1929, to the world’s largest manufacturer of arc welding products. Miller keeps the tradition alive by focusing on its top priority: people.
The Operations Director will be responsible for developing and managing the operations strategies of the business. Lead the Materials & Supply Chain team, Production Operations team, and Manufacturing Engineering team to establish continuous improvement strategies and goals including cost, quality, and delivery measures for the business. Apply the ITW Operating Principles to Division Operations while strategizing new ideas to move the business to a higher level. Must be a strong business-minded leader capable of driving results, building talent pipeline, and developing and executing roadmaps and plans for growth.
- Strategically lead the materials & supply chain team directly within the division and matrixed across the enterprise to streamline, simplify, and build resiliency of a multi-tiered, internal and external supply chain supporting a high-volume, high-pace manufacturing operation.
- Provide essential people leadership of the manufacturing operations workforce of over 130 team members, building a positive and inclusive workplace culture and continued strong employee engagement.
- Provide leadership in the development of strategies during our business planning process and execution of those strategies to evolve our business operations to enable and support sustained business growth.
- Partner with business unit leaders and divisional leadership to prioritize and support customer needs.
- Lead a manufacturing engineering team driving continuous improvement in manufacturing processes yielding better In-Lining and Flow, optimizing overall production efficiency, capacity, and quality.
- Must be extremely customer-focused with strong business acumen, understanding how the business functions and sales channels link together to support the customer
- Establish a go-forward plan of cost savings, Toolbox and strategic sourcing results, which aligns with the division's growth initiatives.
- Drive adoption of manufacturing technologies to further improve production costs, quality, and efficiency. Experience with automated manufacturing processes preferred.
- Responsible for preparation and management of the operations manpower budget.
- Work with the engineering team, production team, finance team, and the supplier base to develop and implement initiatives to improve variable and direct margins of the product line.
- Drive successful metrics for safety, quality, efficiency, and delivery while maximizing capacity utilization.
- Develop and drive a strategic plan that delivers significant results in safety, quality, and efficiency to achieve annual business objectives.
- Manage team to drive solutions by utilizing internal/external resources to solve equipment, tooling, facility and process problems.
- Lead benchmarking activities to stay up to date on innovative manufacturing processes.
- Champion the hiring, people development, and long-term resource planning necessary to ensure a stable pipeline of talent for future business needs.
- Work closely with support staff and Human Resources to effectively support all facets of our business.
- Coach and develop work teams to have positive and proactive attitudes, personal accountability, and superior quality.
- Provide leadership that will allow achievement of a flexible and fast responding workforce, in a fast paced, dynamic organizational environment.
- Must have a bachelor’s degree in a related field and 10+ years related experience in operations and supply chain management is required.
- Proven strategic Operations leadership, reflecting increasing levels of responsibility and results delivered.
- Proven results in managing and developing talent
- Proven track record of leadership, demonstrating a positive attitude, personal accountability, coaching skills, effective listening skills, approachability, and resolution of issues/conflicts in a timely matter (preference will be given to applicants with at least 5 years of supervisor/management experience).
- Proven P&L experience with strong budgeting, planning capabilities, and understanding of inventory management.
- Must be extremely customer focused, understanding how the business functions link together to support the customer (i.e. marketing, engineering, supply chain, sales, and service).
- Ability to lead and coordinate successful cross-functional improvements with analytical skills.
- Must exhibit encouragement of diverse ideas, focusing on coaching/developing strengths of team members and facilitating effective communication.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously.
- Change agent that demonstrates original thinking, generates suggestions, and develops innovative approaches for improving workflow and processes.
- Develops self and others with potential for future opportunities in the organization.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, to include strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Strategic Vision, business acumen, and strategic execution - ability to progressively lead an organization towards the achievement of a long-term strategy while anticipating future change implications and impacts.
- People & Culture leadership – provide strong leadership at all levels in the organization, fostering a positive and inclusive work environment and creating strong followership and employee engagement.
- Strategic Supply Chain expertise to include analytics, procurement, contract management, inventory management, material control and warehousing, utilizing Market Rate of Demand (MRD) principles.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Want personalized job recommendations based on your interests?
Sign up for alerts to get started!
At ITW, we value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this online application system process due to your disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.