Materials ManagerApply Job ID REF8759H Date posted 03/01/2023 Address 1635 West Spencer Street, Appleton, WI Job Type Full-time Job Status Exempt
Miller® is about building things that matter. We lead the welding industry in building advanced, solution-focused products and meeting crucial needs for welding safety and health.
We’re about the partnership and the work. Our products are designed with our users for manufacturing, fabrication, construction, aviation, motorsports, education, agriculture and marine applications.
Miller Electric Mfg. LLC, is headquartered in Appleton, Wisconsin, and wholly owned by Illinois Tool Works (NYSE: ITW). The company maintains its industry leadership by setting the standard for reliability, quality and responsiveness. Our tagline, “The Power of Blue®,” is inspired by the blue color of Miller equipment.
The company began with an innovation that responded to customer needs, growing from a one-man operation in 1929, to the world’s largest manufacturer of arc welding products. Miller keeps the tradition alive by focusing on its top priority: people.
As the Materials Manager you will be responsible for the development and performance of all global procurement and supply chain activities for the division, approximately $150 Million of direct and indirect spend. Lead through short term and long term initiatives, strategic sourcing, and ensure new product development is competitive by evaluating Total Cost of Ownership (TCO). You will report to the Director of Operations and have multiple exempt level direct reports. The Materials Manager has the ability to make a large impact on the division and will partner with Suppliers, Engineering, Operations, and Sourcing Category Manager.
What you will focus on in the Materials Manager role:
- Negotiate with suppliers and manage contracts.
- Monitor contract compliance and re-negotiate contract improvements.
- Develop category-specific sourcing strategies, by analyzing internal and external data.
- Manage supply risk analysis for multiple locations working with internal/external teams to validate raw material alternatives to maintain supply and offset price increases.
- Develop sourcing strategies through data analysis and purchasing expertise.
- Monitor results and adjust strategy as market conditions evolve.
- Track supplier performance and provide feedback for opportunities to build business relationships through matching supplier capabilities and business objectives.
- Analyzes supplier financial position to assess viability by assessing strengths, weaknesses, tracking KPIs and financial development of supplier.
- Utilize historical and current demand to provide Market Rate of Demand (MRD) outlook to suppliers on an as-needed basis to support customer demand and production, ensuring supplier compliance with MRD commitments for lead time and holding of finished goods.
- Present key materials trends, issues, and inflation & deflation forecast to the Division to manage monthly, quarterly, and annual outlook.
- Monitoring and ownership of MOH (months on hand) and inventory grading risk for finished goods and raw material inventory
What it takes to be successful in the Materials Manager role:
- Driven to make a positive impact
- Negotiate and Influence
- Analysis & Strategy
- Communication & Presentation Skills
- Leadership and drive accountability
- Build collaborative relationships
- Bachelor’s Degree in Ops Management, Supply Chain Management, or Business or equivalent
- 7 years’ experience in professional sourcing in an international industrial business.
- People management experience leading global teams.
- Strong Microsoft Office and ERP-system skills required.
- Self-starter, conscientious, detail-oriented, enthusiastic with a positive attitude and able to work with ambiguity.
- Excellent verbal and written skills both business and technical nature with strong presentation skills.
- Able to work effectively and efficiently under tight timelines in a fast-paced manufacturing environment.
- Category management and strategic sourcing experience with knowledge of business improvement techniques and their practical application.
- Ability to understand category-specific business, technology, and market trends. Ability to understand supply market and alternative/competitive products within the industry.
- Ability to identify, assess and execute savings initiatives beyond the traditional Raw Material price negotiations (e.g., Value Analysis/Value Engineering) and to successfully work cross-functionally (primarily engineering) to get these projects completed.
- Aligns business objectives and develops sources of supply based on CSD strategic direction.
- Ability to understand financial concepts, invoicing, accounts payable, and other financial business processes. Interprets financial data, analyzes cost structures, and determines financial impacts of decisions.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
ITW is an equal opportunity employer. We value our colleagues’ unique perspectives, experiences and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
As an equal employment opportunity employer, ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Want personalized job recommendations based on your interests?
Sign up for alerts to get started!
At ITW, we value our colleagues' unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas and create workplaces where everyone can develop their careers and perform to their full potential.
ITW is committed to equal employment opportunity and fair treatment for employees, beginning with the hiring process and continuing through all aspects of the employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Read more information here.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this online application system process due to your disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance. No other requests will be acknowledged.